AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is Google Adwords representative calling me genuine?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I manage just one Adword account for my client which has been going well for a number of months. I have now had a call from someone claiming to be from Google Adwords to help the campaign. He appears to have a Google email account but then asked me to confirm details about the account which I didn't want to do -surely he would be able to access the account already if he really was from Google. He is also overly persistent, calling several times of day which haven't been convenient. When there was confusion about who he was in the first instance he even called my client! Which I am quite angry about. As it could have suggested that there was something wrong which there isn't.

I don't mind Adwords providing some advice but I don't want to give any account information away and am suspicious due to the amount of times I have been called (from India). Can anyone confirm that Google has account handlers calling from India and know if i can get round giving account details?

Thank-you very much, Marianne

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
January 2016

Re: Is Google Adwords representative calling me genuine?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Marianne K;

If this were a "genuine" Rep calls on behalf of Google support (which is usually to take place in large accounts), the call will be followed by a genuine  email from Google (sent from google.com domain) with the details of the Rep, and  a phone number to call back.  The Rep will not  ask  you to provide any details, since they already have them on file (hence the call was initiated). He might ask you to verify the CID #

Usually the email will also include the option to schedule an appointment through an online application.

Further, once you ask the Rep not to call again, he / she would try once more, but not further. Once you ask to stop - he / she should  stop calling. (Indeed, there are cases in which the Reps call the client directly. Advise the client to tell the Rep that the account is managed by a 3rd party and  to refer  the Rep to you.)

Ask the caller directly if this call on behalf of Google or on behalf of an agency.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Marianne,

Yes, there are account managers who can handle your adwords account.
Have you had any prior communication with him regarding any account issue.
If you are capable enough to manage it by your own then there is no need to share any details.

Even if you need any assistance, you can get it from adwords phone support. Don't share your details to anyone until you have prior communication to any Google Representative.

Every account manager/handler has own extension number which you can dial directly.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
January 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Marianne K;

If this were a "genuine" Rep calls on behalf of Google support (which is usually to take place in large accounts), the call will be followed by a genuine  email from Google (sent from google.com domain) with the details of the Rep, and  a phone number to call back.  The Rep will not  ask  you to provide any details, since they already have them on file (hence the call was initiated). He might ask you to verify the CID #

Usually the email will also include the option to schedule an appointment through an online application.

Further, once you ask the Rep not to call again, he / she would try once more, but not further. Once you ask to stop - he / she should  stop calling. (Indeed, there are cases in which the Reps call the client directly. Advise the client to tell the Rep that the account is managed by a 3rd party and  to refer  the Rep to you.)

Ask the caller directly if this call on behalf of Google or on behalf of an agency.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’