AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is Avg. monthly searches stat mutually exclusive?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there, 

I have been using keyword planner tool for past few months, and I have always had this doubt in my mind: Is 'Avg. monthly searches' stat mutually exclusive for each specific keyword entered? 

Example:

I am trying to analyze how many people search for information related to Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada, and I got the below numbers for each of the following terms.

'Algonquin' - 40,500 avg monthly searches
'Algonquin Park' - 33,100 avg monthly searches
'Algonquin Provincial Park' - 6,600 avg monthly searches

My question is:
In the above example shown, are these numbers relate to each specific term as exactly defined above?
If YES ,then I take it that I can account for a total of 70,000+ avg monthly searches related to algonquin park - Is that correct?

Thank you,

Sakthi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Is Avg. monthly searches stat mutually exclusive?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Yes, the keyword planner shows only search statistics of exact match type keywords.

"We calculate the average number of searches for this exact keyword based on the date range, location, and Search Network targeting settings that you've selected (not including your language setting)."

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Yes, the keyword planner shows only search statistics of exact match type keywords.

"We calculate the average number of searches for this exact keyword based on the date range, location, and Search Network targeting settings that you've selected (not including your language setting)."

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Sakthi p,

The one thing you should realize is that the Keyword planner is just an estimate of an estimate of an estimate,. and it doesn't take into account your targeting methods, etc.

Use it with a grain of salt.

Never once in 10+ years of looking at "estimated data" has it ever even come close to actual data, and is usually a huge error in "over-estimating".

Use the keyword planner as potential "Customer Interest or Intent" and let your "real data" from your accounts determine the best course of actions.

So to answer your questions specifically:
If YES ,then I take it that I can account for a total of 70,000+ avg monthly searches related to algonquin park - Is that correct?

You would interpret that data as mutually exclusive and 70K, but in reality I would say you could expect maybe 20K after you define your targeting and other parameters.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en&ref_topic=3175091

Here are some things to keep in mind about your historical statistics:

• Your search volume statistics are rounded. This means that when you get keyword ideas for multiple locations, the search volumes might not add up as you'd expect.
  • Web traffic is influenced by seasonality, current events, and a number of other factors. Therefore, the number of searches on your keywords is constantly fluctuating.
Tip

You should choose keywords based on quality over quantity. That's because more relevant keywords are likely to give you better results -- keywords with higher search traffic or more advertiser competition won't necessarily help you reach your advertising goals.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Ahmed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Eric. It was useful that you shared the gap between the actual and estimate based on your experience. I will take that into account on my decisions.