Guide Me
star_border

Is AdWords for me?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I run a purely content based website.

Basically, we are a financial magazine that publishes 10 issues (hard copy and online) a year plus a few reports and supplements. We also publish daily news online and a bi-weekly newsletter.

It’s a free subscription magazine, we don’t charge for anything.

Our main source of revenue is advertising. We rely on pageviews to impress potential advertisers.

Here’s where the problem lies. We need more of those.

I know the basic principle of AdWords and since we are not a commercial site, I think the return will be probably negative.

I have been trying to convince my boss that AdWords is not for us, but I would like your opinion as well.

Is it worth using AdWords for a content based website to drive traffic?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is AdWords for me?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Have a look at the following excerpt from a policy, please:

Google AdWords doesn't allow the promotion of websites that are designed for the sole or primary purpose of showing ads. This practice of promoting sites where the main purpose is to get users to click on ads is called arbitrage.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190442

Clearly, you're not allowed to use AdWords to drive traffic to a website whose only purpose is to get people to click on advertisements for other websites.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi brix76;

I might understand you differently  than Calin did.

Is there  a written content on the website? (Like financial articles? -Briefs / abstracts  from  the printed Magazine?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi brix76,

The thing to do here is calculate the average value of a user. How long does a new subscriber stick around? Are you showing AdWords or other PPC ads? What's the average revenue, per subscriber, from clicking on those ads? Is that revenue higher than your expected CPC? If it is, you may find some success with AdWords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Obviously, the policy issue is one aspect you need to be aware of and pay attention to. 

From a commercial standpoint, it comes down to what value you put on a subscriber (as it can't be advertising for reasons already given). 

It sounds to me though like you should focus your time and energy on developing more great content and reaching out to those communities who may benefit from it, e.g. interact in other areas such as social platforms, where likely readers may already be. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

@ Calin 

I think you've understood me wrong. Our website is not designed for the purpose to show adds.

On the contrary, our web site is full of content. All the articles that go in the printed magazine and all the reports and supplements are being uploaded on the website. Plus, every day we publish financial news and twice a week we send out newsletters containing news and analysis.

We don’t do affiliate advertising or sell anything of ours or anyone else’s for that matter.

The advertising that we do is mostly events, conferences and white papers.

People can register for free and get a full access the whole of the website (currently the featured articles are in a members area).

@ MosheTLV

I think I answered you’re question above.

@ Pete and Adrian

How can I calculate the value of a user/subscriber in case that we don’t do PPC?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Two options (and I would use both):

1. AdWords - use conversion tracking.
Basically, add the conversion tracking script to your subscriber 'thank you' page to give a view on cost, clicks etc., needed to get a subscriber.

2. Analytics - use goals
More advanced but you will be able to track route new subscribers take and spot any areas where people are leaving. Can also apply a value to the goal, i.e. a subscriber value, to allow you to monitor costs v value more accurately. This list can be segmented to just show paid traffic.

Having said that, it does sound to me like you have some work to do internally to work out your 'why', i.e. what are you hoping to achieve? Forgive me if I've got this wrong though. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

brix76 wrote:

Hi guys,

@ Calin 

I think you've understood me wrong. Our website is not designed for the purpose to show adds.

Thanks

I sure did, thanks for clarifying.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@ Adrian

My main goal is to bring more traffic to the website and increase the pageviews.

We have accounts with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

All the daily news that we publish go to FB and Twitter and I'm looking to start some discussion groups in LinkedIn.

The secondary goal is to get people to subscribe to our newsletter. That would happen only if they decide to register to access the memeber's area. So, in order for this to happen, I need to get more people to come to my site.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
With paid search, in particular, you need to think very carefully about where you direct your traffic too, i.e. the landing page. Do a search for 'good landing page examples' and you should come across a post at unbounce.com for some excellent points.

If the goal is to get subscribers, what would be the reason for someone wanting to subscribe? If planning an AdWords campaign, you would need to think about:

1. what searches are relevant to you?
2. what ad copy to entice those searchers?
3. the landing page
4. the offer
5. the subscription process

AdWords can certainly work for growing your subscriber base but just needs a degree more planning. It is not just a case of driving more traffic to your site.