Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is 1 KW per ad group a good idea?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys

I was reading the other day that to get the highest performance from an account that its a good idea to use 1 KW per ad group, then if the ads have the KW in the title, description and URL the highest QS should be more likely.

Ive tried this with an account and im wondering how much time the system needs to improve the scores, because at the minute my scores are lower for the KW ive moved into individual ad groups. I should point out that im only a local business so dont get many clicks, so im wondering if this is why the scores havent risen yet - as the system doesnt have enough date to assess everything?

What are your thoughts?

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @ripleyhypno

The reason is that you  try to implement  techniques while the system is much more sophisticated....

Write an attractive ad-copy to a human user.  not to a machine.   Think of the user. Promote the added value of your product as you  explain it to the client,  not to a machine. To highlight specifics benefits  use extensions rather than keywords within the text.

The 1 KW per ad group strategy is not a strategy I recommend. Too much extra work  and time to maintain - it  is not justified.

My 2 pennies...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the reply. I totally see what youre saying, this is something ive noticed in adwords in various things before. I remember thinking years ago that what ever it was i was trying to do was great for my end users but Google didnt like it and therefore gave me low "scores" for whatever it was

ive seen this 1 kw per ad group improve some kw but do you find that one accounts performance can vary to another accounts? ie that what works for 1 doesnt work for all?

thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

SKAGs (Single Keyword Ad Group) as they are known gives huge dividends in the long run with high QS & low CPCs. If you are willing to put a bit of work on the front end, then you will see massive savings.

Many don't have a great workflow, hence they find it very time-consuming. My workflow is lightning fast. You do need to use Editor +  Excel.

Hope this helps.