6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Invited user cannot accept or log into Google Ad Words

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried to select the "Account Access" forum category, but I am only permitted to select from the items that appear in the drop-down. The "Show All" doesn't work.

I'm the Admin of a Google Ad Words account. I want to get my co-worker set-up so that she can learn from and toy with our existing campaigns as well as create new campaigns.

I sent a co-worker an invite for Standard Access for my Google Adwords account. She logged in, but she wasn't able to see the campaigns I have been running. She was able to see the Google Analytics data but probably because I had given her Analytics access awhile ago. I went ahead and taught her how to create a campaign herself, but I ended up having to set up all the billing over again and build duplicate campaigns. Why can't she see or work on the campaigns I have been running?

We tried revoking access from Google Adwords and from Analytics, and re-inviting all over again. But that hasn't worked either. When she clicks on the invite link in the email and tries to login with her existing gmail account (and also the one that she had been using successfully to view our Analytics), she gets a message which says that her email is already associated with the account. But when she goes into AdWords, she still cannot access our campaigns. Incidentally, when I log into Google Adwords, it shows that I still have her invitation pending. Also, she wants to use her own personal gmail address to login to the Google Adwords account. 

Not sure if this matters or not, but the Ad Words and Analytics products are linked; however, the system says that they "are not because of my account settings." But they are clearly linked because when I go through the "link accounts" workflow, there is no option to link, only an option to unlink. Also when I log into Ad Words, I can access the Analytics from within Adwords. 

Help....It's a maze out there....

Thanks, 

Linda

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author lindaiwoo
September 2015

Re: Invited user cannot accept or log into Google Ad Words

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

First things first you said "I went ahead and taught her how to create a campaign herself, but I ended up having to set up all the billing over again and build duplicate campaigns."

Did you just create a second account for a domain that is already being promoted through one of your AdWords accounts?  You may have just violated the double serving policy and could be at risk of having both accounts suspended...permanently.

That said, once you created this new account for your co-worker, her email address is now locked to the new account.

I would normally suggest that you assign a dummy email to the new account and releasing your co-workers email address so it is no longer associated with any AdWords accounts.

I think you have bigger fish to fry right now.  I would immediately contact support, explain exactly what you have done, the domains and accounts involved and see if you can rectify what has happened. 

Then you can revisit giving access to your co-worker.

If what I have outlined, the potential double serving, is not a concern because you used a different domain or something similar, let us know and we can re-visit the access problem.

Good Luck!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

You have run into what I consider the worst designed page in the entire AdWords system--invite a user to your account.

Here's the deal. When you send the inviation, it includes a link to a page where you can create a new account. But the page does not say "Create New Account" or "Join an Existing account" or even "Accept Invitation". Instead, it gives you two options, "I already have an account", and "I don't have an account".

Intuitively, the invited user clicks on "I don't have an account" and gets put through the process of creating a new account. The proper answer is "I already have an account", which the invited user does not have!

Now that your colleague has created an account, you will have to get her email address off of that account before you can add her to your existing account.

Create a throw-away email address. Have her invite that user to her account, accept the invite, confirm the accept, promote to admin. Then login as the new user and remove here real email address. Then send her a new invitation. This process is much easier to do with 2 computers, one for each "user". Otherwise, you will need to login and log out several times to get his done.

I hope they get around to fixing this page soon. It would be so much simjpler for everyone if they just made a page excusively for accepting and account invitation!

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I contacted customer support. We are working on fixing things. It appears my co-worker did end up creating her own Google Adwords account. Good thing is that I had paused my campaigns, so we were fortunately not double-serving! Support is going to help me fix things, but need to contact my co-worker to get her newly created account'Ss Customer ID.

Anyway, thanks so much for responding. I was expecting to get an email. I didn't even know that anyone had responded! 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author lindaiwoo
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for the helpful response! Yes, that is exactly what she did. And what a relief to hear it wasn't merely user error on our part. They really do need to re-design the page. Smiley Happy

Thanks again, 

Linda

Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adwords team,

I am having the exact same issue here and have been having it for ages- I don't understand where it is coming from. A friend of mine has invited me to their campaign to take a look and see what suggestions I can offer and has sent the invitation to two of my email addresses since the one doesn't work right.

I've tried resetting my password, I've tried looking at my fingers as I type my password for each individual letter - and even though the password and email are correct, for some reason I still cannot view their campaign, which is turning into a big pain in the rear! 

I'm also finding, although this isn't a problem, that if the invitation is sent from an account with Chinese as the default language that it opens on my computer all in Chinese, even though English is my default language. Not sure if you want to look into that but could be helpful and more smooth for people everywhere to have invitations and accounts open whatever their default language is set to.

Would love any thoughts / suggestions - I'm stuck on how to make this work.

Re: Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The same issue with me now...been trying it for days and still same issue over and over and already created 2 new accounts just to accept the invitation.