Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid ad group name

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello, recently I ran into this strange problem. I'm doing campaigns on perfumes and everything is fine and dandy. But Burberry ad groups are making my life living hell. Some of them works ok but others display error: Invalid ad group name. To post the ad group, please edit the name.

For example:

Burberry-Touch - works, I'm able to send this

Burberry-Body - error, fail while sending.

only bugging with few burberry ad groups. Every other(like 100) perfume brands are without an error.

I tried to delete some invisible space or look up some difference between ad groups from burberry that work and those that dont, but I can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks in advance for any help

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid ad group name

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Is there any possibility that the same adgroup name is already existing in that campaign?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello Theniks, that's not it either. + one more thing, whenever I misspell the word Burberry for Burbery or Burberri it's no longer error. It's strange.

Screenshot

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

Can you please take "get recent changes" once in AdWords Editor and then see if it allows you to add?

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Alex A,

Are you looking at all ad groups, or just active ones. Could it be you have a deleted AdGroup with the same name? That's about all that makes sense to me. The misspellings seem to indicate the ad group really does exist.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Hello Petebardo and NehaGupta,

I've tried both, get recent changes and check for deleted adgroup, but without any effect.
I've even tried to delete campaign from adwords website, to make sure, there is no redundance and then posted it back, but it still didnt work.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alex,
Will suggest to try removing "Body" from adgroup name. Though it doesn't make any technical sense to remove this from name but we can give this a try..Smiley Happy

Regards
Puneet

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

The fact that you deleted and tried to add it back indicates that the error is a duplicate ad group. Perhaps you deleted it previously and thus it is conflicting.

Deleted ad groups are not deleted/removed they are still on the account. In order to find it I would suggest selecting the relevant campaign, going to the ad group tab. Selecting all ad groups (in the drop down for what ad groups to view) then filtering that campaign by ad group name > contains > Body.

I am sure it will pop up there, most likely as a deleted campaign, you then need to edit that ad group name (perhaps add -old to it).

To confirm this is the issue you can attempt to ad that particular ad group name to another campaign and I am sure that there will be no issue. If, however, you are not able to ad that particular ad group name to any other campaigns then this is indicative of ... well a weird bug is all I can think of.

Let me know the results.