Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid Clicks Exhausting our Budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Team, 

I hope you can give me advice regarding my concern. 

Basically, we are running our own Google AdWords campaign for our business. We have allocated a certain budget for our campaigns. 

My question is there any impact on our AdWords campaigns, especially on our budget, if our competitors are clicking our campaigns using the same IPs in a day? We know that our competitors might be clicking our ads, with the goal to exhaust our budget so our ads would stop showing. But, wouldn't it be considered invalid clicks, in which our budget will not suffer for that? 

Please advice.

Thank you.

Regards,

Charmine

3 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Charmine, 

You could try using the exclude IP address feature in the campaign settings tab and exclude the IP's you believe your competitors are using to exhaust your campaign budget. 

Regards,

Stephen

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Google is pretty good at identifying this sort of behavior and "click washing" out fraudulent or repetitive clicks.  It occurs during the 8 hours after the campaign has stopped running for the day, on the time zone the campaign is set to. 

Also, if you have your campaign set to serve ads evenly throughout the day, in most campaigns it is unlikely someone will be able to click your ads repeatedly.  Because once clicked on, the ad will not be repeatedly served again, until later in the day.  

This is not a problem as much as many new advertisers seem to think it is, in my experience.

hth

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi @Charmine S,

As mentioned by @Steve B, Google has sophisticated monitoring and detection systems to identify, report, and act on invalid clicks or impressions.

A lot of factors are considered by the system to filter out invalid clicks. If the system finds that invalid clicks have escaped automatic detection, you may be eligible to receive a credit for those clicks.

For Your Reference: Invalid clicks

Troubleshooting invalid clicks

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you are curious, you can always add a column for invalid clicks to see how many there were.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

the invalid click column is not authoritative.
some clicks will be excluded (not count) and not register there (in that data-field)

google has multiple processes to detect and respond to click fraud in place.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies. Older threads should not be posted to. 

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.