Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Insane Impression Increase -

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Randomly today, we recieved over 600 impressions, when we usually sit around 50-60.

This also happened last monday too, where we hit around 400. 

This is really odd, all of our adverts exact match, and not on the display network and only run business hours (9-5).

I'm quite sure something is messing up.

can anyone offer me some guidance? 

Thanks

Nick 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Insane Impression Increase -

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Strange just monitor it. I thought if you wew losing IS previously for some reason it could explain a sudden increase.

Good luck

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

All [exact match] keywords?

Did you increase budget?

Compare your Impression Share stats for the previous week.  If you do not see impression share stats in your user interface go to the campaign tab and find the columns button and then competitive metrics section.  Enable Impression Share, Exact Match Impression Share and Lost Impression share Rank and Budget.

See if there are any notable differences in the metris comparing the normal traffic week to the busy one. 

Here is a link to more on Impression Share Metrics http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472710

It seems like a good place to start investigating.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
indeed, all [exact match].

No, we decreased budget actually.

I compared all the information, this is just one random large spike, and it happened again last week on Monday.

Perplexed!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Strange just monitor it. I thought if you wew losing IS previously for some reason it could explain a sudden increase.

Good luck

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Did you check http://www.google.com/insights/search/ for your particular keywords?

Maybe the interest has an organic reason ...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nick, Depending on the rank of your ads they may have started showing on the Search Network. Are they currently opted in? If they are you can see the performance by google search vs. search network on the network tab.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

ArneTR and Chris both have good suggestions.

Was the campaign or adgroup recently created?  Chris had a good point, maybe you were on google.com search but not approved on partners?  Of course it does not have much bearing if you are not opted into the search partners (see your campaign network settings under the SETTINGS tab).

If you are opted into partners then try comparing the lower impression to higher impressions week with the Networks segment enabled.

Go to the campaign and use the SEGMENT button and by Network with Partners and see if you have impressions on the partner network in week 1.