AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Initial guidance needed for adwords - but differently.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear google advertising people

I need some guidance about google adwords.

Actually before seating adwords exam i had decided to start my own campaign on google via adwords - to experiment. But i have stucked on the "Landing page". 

As i don't have built or purchased any website/web page/landing page - i can't test it.

So, instead of any ready made web page/website for a small shop - i have decided to make it own.

Therefore, i have tried to know wordpress - seeing it difficult for a marketing people to understand, i changed to make it through wix.com.

Now, my question is whether i am wasting my time to know that how to build landing page - as my goal is to be Google expert (Adwords, analytics, youtube & all related advertising) ?

Else, knowing the web page building will help me in future for SEO or SEM or any other way?

Lastly, please share a chart - from which i can understand every details that - where am i now & all the way to be a Google Expert(advertising) in all respect.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Supriyo D
May 2016

Re: Initial guidance needed for adwords - but differently.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Supriyo,

I think you made a good point in that creativity comes in the picture first of all when items of an ad campaign are being designed. (It is not by mistake that we often refer to an ad copy as a "creative".) In contrast, analytical thinking is required throughout the whole period of advertising. That's not at all automatic, or better to say: if you allow it to flow automatically it may easily go askew. What you need to do constantly is to analyze stats accrued, slice and dice your data by various segmentation patterns, point out what works and what doesn't. Thereby you'll always know how to go ahead: weed out parts that perform poorly and put more emphasis on the ones that do a good job.

It's not just you and your ad campaign, however, because AdWords proper also evolves organically by the passage of time and changes are occasionally really rapid while users also may changes their searching and browsing behavior, for which 2 reasons you need to look out and be on the alert all the time so that you can always adjust the items of your advertising to an evolving platform on the one hand, and to a changing advertising landscape on the other hand.

However, try enjoying your time spent with AdWords; take my word for it, it's real fun.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hi Supriyo,
Welcome to AdWords...not quite sure how to answer your request for a chart about becoming an AdWords expert, but thought I could help you frame the direction you may want to take.
To be a good consultant and a value to your client(s), you need to have an understanding of the other aspects of digital marketing as they relate to, or effect, AdWords campaigns. However, how much of each of those areas (Design, development, etc) you need to know ultimately depends on what you like to do or want to do. Personally, I come from a marketing generalist background and have done a little html, a little more SEO, but almost no design. I have chosen to only offer PPC services to my clients and have built up a small network of other freelancers and consultants that can provide those other services.
Hope that helps.
Kyle

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Supriyo,

create webpage is great to understand how to setup conversion code in AdWords and Analytics. It is easy and Wordpress has plugins. Then you can learn AdWords as Kyle and Hayden wrote, do experiments. If you don't expect much from your own campaigns, you can do mistakes, but it is beginnings.

Start step by step. Create website with some goal (maybe collect email address, download ebook), learn what your visitors want. Self-learning is not easy, but there are much materials on the internet which can help you now.

Tomas

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello everyone
(Kyle, Hayden & Tomas)

Thanks all for your thoughtful reply.
But be a shameless enthusiastic - i need more guidance - may be detailed & specific - may be from a real teacher's point of view. Categorically i need -
1> Whether i should use wordpress or wix (Background i don't know code, purely have marketing perception)
2> Apart from knowing website building & adwords - what other areas to be known to become independent google expert (combing adwords, analytics & what else?)
3> Lastly how much time do all you set to cover the above subjects & get certified? As because i am finding some local business entity are thinking to go digital - why i will miss the opportunity?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Read this - https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Water-Cooler/What-type-of-person-is-suited-for-an-AdWords-...

Universal answer isn't. There may be hundreds or thousands hours with adwords. There are daily news, updates in adwords and ecommerce and you should check and know majority to be expert. If you want to know adwords and setup adwords, it may be just tens hours. Only learning classrooms are tens hours, experiments with adwords next tens, experiments with landing page next tens, etc.

I work with PPC and Analytics for over ten years and I must learn daily.

Tomas

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
I would say better to know Wordpress...many companies use it, it provides more functionality and flexibility, and Wix (and others like it) aren't SEO friendly.

Outside of AdWords specifically,, you definitely need to have a good understanding of Google Anlaytics (or other analytics platform) as well as some landing page/conversion optimization knowledge, A/B testing, and SEO best practices.

How much time...I think with the right guidance, you can become decent at AdWords doing it full-time for 3-6 months...I've been doing it for almost 10 years and continue to learn as the environment, and the AdWords platform, continue to change and evolve.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dear Mr. Tomas

Thanks for your reply.
I had gone through the link, you referred me.
There i saw a word "creative" about an essential quality for adwords master. Here is my shameless enthusiasm -
Why creative to be an adwords expert?
Yes, setting up a campaign needs some creative thinking about headline etc etc, - but then everything will do by google! From selecting your ad campaign to run, to show your ad where possible. Near all are automatic by google - after setting up demographic/targeting & depositing funds at google a/c? Also, when optimisation or remarketing needed - after getting command by you - all will be done by google - automatic -is not it?
Please Sir, outline the creative part at google adwords.
Lastly, i had experience of 6 years in stock market - from on screen trading to little bit others. I learned from that in stock market - there is no law or creativity (short term/medium term).
Do you think, here in adwords also the same philosophy ? Else one adwords consultant can beat his first competitor without help of luck(here google)?
Actually i have confused.
(I am sorry for any wrong question/doing)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Supriyo D
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Supriyo,

I think you made a good point in that creativity comes in the picture first of all when items of an ad campaign are being designed. (It is not by mistake that we often refer to an ad copy as a "creative".) In contrast, analytical thinking is required throughout the whole period of advertising. That's not at all automatic, or better to say: if you allow it to flow automatically it may easily go askew. What you need to do constantly is to analyze stats accrued, slice and dice your data by various segmentation patterns, point out what works and what doesn't. Thereby you'll always know how to go ahead: weed out parts that perform poorly and put more emphasis on the ones that do a good job.

It's not just you and your ad campaign, however, because AdWords proper also evolves organically by the passage of time and changes are occasionally really rapid while users also may changes their searching and browsing behavior, for which 2 reasons you need to look out and be on the alert all the time so that you can always adjust the items of your advertising to an evolving platform on the one hand, and to a changing advertising landscape on the other hand.

However, try enjoying your time spent with AdWords; take my word for it, it's real fun.

Best,
Lakatos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello to all
(Mr. Lakatos, Mr. Kyle, Mr. Tomas, Mr. Hayden)

Thanks to all for your thoughtful insights given to me.
Hopefully, all are well.
Instead of trying to learn & make website right now - i have decided to use adwords express with a google plus page (instead of website) to experiment adwords with a learning attitude.
Then, i came to know without a valid website i can't use Original Adwords. As adwords express is an automated version - i am unable to experiment.
So i need a website to test & learn adwords - keeping in mind to clear adwords fundamental as well as other exam in future. (To get Adwords certified in 2 months)
Then will come google analytics.
In view of the above, can i request to all for a small favour to arrange a website to link with my adwords account - so that i can test / experiment with my pre-funded small adwords a/c & that website?
Or any other way/advice for a poor fellow like me.
Thanking all of you.

Supriyo Debnath