AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Including Keywords with Location Name in Location Intent Campaigns?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Let's say you had an Adwords Campaign with geotarget intent only with Seattle, WA USA.

I'm changing the keywords but this is an actual example.

You have phrase match "seattle mountain bikes"

And you have in the same ad group exact match [mountain bikes]

The exact match should also match for the search: "seattle mountain bikes" as Google sees the search location intent in the query because of the city name. But the phrase match is also going to match. Coincidentally, the current quality score is 7 for the phrase match and 5 for the exact match! This would lead me to believe, even on location intent only targeted campaigns, you should also include keywords with the location name for the potential of a better quality score.

The bigger question is which match would Google select to send to the auction consider the user types the word Seattle, the phrase match with Seattle in it or the exact match? (assuming Google never sends more than one match from within the same Ad group to the auction of course.)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Including Keywords with Location Name in Location Intent Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again @Jeff C;

Generally speaking,  with a few exceptions, the keyword with the highest ad-rank will trigger the ad.

You can read about all possible scenarios here:

How similar keywords match to search terms

As for the location itself: including the location, especially for a  big town within the keyword is a redundancy; 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
You could just add the keyword [seattle mountain bikes].

Having the location in a search query typically converts better, so it makes sense to manage this search query with an exact.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

There could be an issue though if the keyword with the lower QS has a much higher max CPC, seems you could then end up overpaying for the ad rank!

Regarding adding the exact match,  I believe Google has partner networks, like Yelp in which the user doesn't have to type the location name.  I'm not sure though if Yelp appends the user's location selection to all their queries or passes the location to Google as a separate parameter.  In other words I'm not 100% sure that search intent is determined solely by whether the location name in in the user's query.  Hence you wouldn't catch someone searching on a Seattle-centric web site for just the words: mountain bike unless you left the location name out of your keywords in the search location intent campaigns.