AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

In the Keyword Planner it says competition 0 but there is LOTS??

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Am I missing something, it says 0 competition but now that I check there are many many competitors. Anybody else noticed this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In the Keyword Planner it says competition 0 but there is LOTS??

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Keyword planner doesn't say ZERO competition. It will say "High", "Medium" or "Low". Low doesn't mean zero I'm afraid Smiley Sad

Also, low competition doesn't mean there's only one or two competitors. It's a bit more complicated than that. 

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In addition to the great explanation already received, I would only add what I understand after reading the definition of competition there : link

"Competition: The number of advertisers that showed on each keyword relative to all keywords across Google......"

In my understanding there are 2 situations :

A) What I think you are seeing is one horizontal line instead of zero , meaning - , and this could be because you selected a small area ,or a restrictive language, or some other restrictive conditions and maybe the keyword planner does not have enough historical statistic data for that area. You could be tempted to bid because you see also a line for the Avg. CPC

For example this appears if I select a language that does not exist in my country :

competition-zero.png

B) When there is enough data

1) So if for all keywords the average historical competition for the last 12 months was 4 competitors, anything bellow it (1,2,3) could be low. But what if the competition for all keywords had an average of 8 competitors, then in changes what low means , doesn't it ?

2) Also by being historical data it can mean that whatever they indexed in the past 12 months is no longer true today.

3) More than this the distribution in time can be different, for 6 months there can be 10 competitors and for the other 6 months only 2, this renders the average of (10+2)/2=6 competitors but depending on what month you are bidding it can be seen differently.

As Dave_Davis said, it is a little bit more complicated.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You guys are completely wrong.

In the Keyword Planner it says competition 0 but there is LOTS??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I also see some keyword having 0 competition but a lot of searches. What is the matter? I want to use these keywords on my website named as Solution Remarks. Give me suggestion to use or not use these keywords.