AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

In modified broad match does word order count?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In modified broad match does word order count?

I'm a bit confused about this.. I'm using modified broad match for my keywords and the example is this:

+Rome restaurant
restaurant +Rome

are the above the same? and if YES why do they get different impressions? for instance the 1st gets 179 imp. and the second 25..

Additionally in AdWords Editor and find duplicates it states
"Word order Does the word order matter? Select 'Strict word order' to treat 'buy shoes' as a different keyword from 'shoes buy'. Select 'Any word order' if word order doesn't matter. "

but I suppose word order matters in phrase or exact matches. What about "modified broad"?

and what if there's three keywords.. i.e.
+Rome restaurant +artichoke
+artichoke restaurant +Rome 2012

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nikantgr
September 2015

Re: In modified broad match does word order count?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

I believe the answer lies here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66292

In every auction (which takes place with every search query), only one keyword can enter. Depending on the search query, if your account contains several keywords that match the search query, one of them is picked. That's why you get impressions for both, and that's also why the impressions and clicks are different.

To elaborate more, +rome restaurant and restaurant +rome both match rome restaurant and restaurant rome, but only one will be picked for each search query. If your account would only feature one of the two variations, it would get picked in both auctions, provided its quality score and bid would make for a high enough Ad Rank.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nikantgr,

By adding "+" to Rome, you are telling google to only show your ad when the word "rome"  is in the query.  It has nothing to do with ordering.

" +Rome restaurant" and "restaurant +Rome" are considered two different keywords - which could be why your impression #'s are different. 

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Keyword order DOES matter. Just treat the order as you would phrase and you should be good to go.

This is a good article explaining Broad Match Modifier: http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your answers!

Although this tactic by Google gives my head a strange thought loop (I have a programming background) since when it says that +Rome will match any query that contains that word this should mean that the query 'Rome restaurant' and 'restaurant Rome' would trigger the same rule..

Anyway I'll follow your advise.. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nikantgr
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

I believe the answer lies here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66292

In every auction (which takes place with every search query), only one keyword can enter. Depending on the search query, if your account contains several keywords that match the search query, one of them is picked. That's why you get impressions for both, and that's also why the impressions and clicks are different.

To elaborate more, +rome restaurant and restaurant +rome both match rome restaurant and restaurant rome, but only one will be picked for each search query. If your account would only feature one of the two variations, it would get picked in both auctions, provided its quality score and bid would make for a high enough Ad Rank.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
What About Three or Four Word Keywords Like:
+Rome +Fastfood +Restaurant

it means all Three word must be in user's Search Querry in any Order?
Secondly If we use Broad Match Modified Keyword (+Rome +Fastfood +Restaurant)
and a user search for only (Rome Restaurant) does our keyword will trigger?

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
yes> it means all Three word must be in user's Search Querry in any Order?

no, but if you targeted +rome fast food +restaurant it would > Secondly If we use Broad Match Modified Keyword (+Rome +Fastfood +Restaurant)
and a user search for only (Rome Restaurant) does our keyword will trigger?