AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

In House vs. Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on whether or not it is best to hire an agency to handle your ad-word account. We are just beginning to use adwords, and analytics etc and my boss has tasked me with getting to know the services and how to use them. I have basic training in on-line marketing through my degree but it is by no means advanced nor i am i an expert in anyway. 

After reading about them for the last few days, they seem very complicated and there is alot to know & learn. 

Do you think it is best to get an agency, even for the first year or whatever, or will it be possible to handle this successfully on our own? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Caoimhe C
September 2015

Re: In House vs. Agency

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I'm a consultant so I'm biased... but....

AdWords is complicated.... spend any time at all on this forum and you'll see just how complicated it can become.

It's frankly unfair of any boss to drop this responsibility on anyone who is not experienced - as much as anything because she will want to see positive results.

Think about this - they probably wouldn't give you any other position of responsibility that could impact significantly on the bottom line unless you were both trained and experienced.

If you work closely with an agency or a consultant and they are transparent with you (insist on this) you will learn but in most cases I would expect to more than earn my fees in terms of results if pitched against an unexperienced manager working in-house.

just my two cents (less my fee)

;-)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Caoimhe C

I would add to Steve's reply, that if it were a few years ago, I would say that in house campaign management for SMBs would be feasible, after  a training course, and a few months of "hands-on" campaign management training.

Nowadays: no more. With all the complexity and size AdWords has gained - outsource it to an agency, unless you want to hire (or already have)    a full time in house experienced campaign manager.  (My personal view:  even Google will slowly  reverse  the notion of SMBs able to run an effective campaign, with all features, themselves...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I'm a consultant so I'm biased... but....

AdWords is complicated.... spend any time at all on this forum and you'll see just how complicated it can become.

It's frankly unfair of any boss to drop this responsibility on anyone who is not experienced - as much as anything because she will want to see positive results.

Think about this - they probably wouldn't give you any other position of responsibility that could impact significantly on the bottom line unless you were both trained and experienced.

If you work closely with an agency or a consultant and they are transparent with you (insist on this) you will learn but in most cases I would expect to more than earn my fees in terms of results if pitched against an unexperienced manager working in-house.

just my two cents (less my fee)

;-)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Caoimhe C

I would add to Steve's reply, that if it were a few years ago, I would say that in house campaign management for SMBs would be feasible, after  a training course, and a few months of "hands-on" campaign management training.

Nowadays: no more. With all the complexity and size AdWords has gained - outsource it to an agency, unless you want to hire (or already have)    a full time in house experienced campaign manager.  (My personal view:  even Google will slowly  reverse  the notion of SMBs able to run an effective campaign, with all features, themselves...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I think i will just explain to him that its important to task the right people with something this important. As it is very complicated and it would fall on my head should it not be successful. Fingers crossed he goes for it!! thanks again @MosheTLV and @stickleback