AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Improving Branded Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having trouble grasping how to manage, optimize and improve a branded campaign. Few questions below, and feedback is always welcomed and appreciated! Smiley Happy

1) I currently have only 3 ad groups:

> Proper terms (very close variations of my brand name, ie: with and w/o space, display URL as the keyword, etc)

> Variations (brand name misspellings)

> Alternatives (brand name + other words to go with it; very limited)

--> Is this the best set up for the campaign? Bids are also set very high, but obviously CPCs are the lowest in the entire account. Would applying a bidding strategy to it make any difference, or is going in with high bids across the board sufficient enough as we're averaging 1.1 position for the campaign?

2) When campaigns are being managed in a tool such as Marin or DoubleClick for Search, should a different attribution model be used when analyzing this campaign specifically?

3) I've heard that most branded campaigns are practically remarketing campaigns because users will get brand exposure (for a smaller brand) through a generic campaign but rather convert on branded. So when lead gen campaign volume dips then Branded dips as well - is this true? In relation to the above question should branded always be viewed with last-click attribution?

4) Assuming that for most advertisers their branded campaign has the highest QS and account history, how can I leverage that super high QS (and CTR) to help see some uplift/benefits with campaigns in the same account? If this is even possible, would it be isolated to campaigns only in the same account or same MCC?

Again, any info and insights are appreciated! Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johnny K
September 2015

Re: Improving Branded Campaign

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Johnny K,

Very nice question. I'll throw my thoughts in first. I know you will receive some excellent answers to this from the Top Contributors.

1) There may be some potential improvements here to ensure the appropiate search query is being matched by the ad group that you intended. In order to analyse this you may look into the search terms report (assuming your campaigns aren't solely exact match) to see what search terms are being captured by particular ad groups and if there is room for optimisation. You may also consider the use of negative kw for this particular ad groups to help this approach.

Please see this community thread for some insight into the use of negatives for this purpose. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-to-isolate-broad-match/m-p/3144...

3) This is a very good question and there are many answers. I would recommend using the click assisted metrics (assisted impressions, clicks, conversions) by Linking Google Analyitics and Adwords to better gauge this data in the first instance. Aside from this, using Google Analyitics quite often also allows simple correlations and relationships to be concluded. It is quite possible there is a positive relationship between lead gen campaigns, or upper funnel KW and brand search. With regard to attribution, last click is an important metric but consider the whole process. It may be there are certain lead gen campaigns or upper funnel KW that deserve the lions share of the credit. Last click is an easy way to start with attribution, but it can also be a dangerous place when growing a complex account.

Please see for the use of Click Assisted Metrics that may be useful https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-to-find-KW-without-any-conversi...

I hope my points help a little.

I look forward to reading others comments also on a very interesting question.

James Edward Goode

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johnny K
September 2015

Re: Improving Branded Campaign

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Johnny K,

Very nice question. I'll throw my thoughts in first. I know you will receive some excellent answers to this from the Top Contributors.

1) There may be some potential improvements here to ensure the appropiate search query is being matched by the ad group that you intended. In order to analyse this you may look into the search terms report (assuming your campaigns aren't solely exact match) to see what search terms are being captured by particular ad groups and if there is room for optimisation. You may also consider the use of negative kw for this particular ad groups to help this approach.

Please see this community thread for some insight into the use of negatives for this purpose. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-to-isolate-broad-match/m-p/3144...

3) This is a very good question and there are many answers. I would recommend using the click assisted metrics (assisted impressions, clicks, conversions) by Linking Google Analyitics and Adwords to better gauge this data in the first instance. Aside from this, using Google Analyitics quite often also allows simple correlations and relationships to be concluded. It is quite possible there is a positive relationship between lead gen campaigns, or upper funnel KW and brand search. With regard to attribution, last click is an important metric but consider the whole process. It may be there are certain lead gen campaigns or upper funnel KW that deserve the lions share of the credit. Last click is an easy way to start with attribution, but it can also be a dangerous place when growing a complex account.

Please see for the use of Click Assisted Metrics that may be useful https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-to-find-KW-without-any-conversi...

I hope my points help a little.

I look forward to reading others comments also on a very interesting question.

James Edward Goode