Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions on Display GDN

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi the community,

I 've been starting  a display campaign (5 days) . i can't get enough impressions, all my campaigns are set with only "above the fold", with cpc above median according ad planner (Ex: when 0.00 - 0.50 : bid -> 0.75), all with Target and bid (to separate channels and have a better understanding of what's going on ).

Here my  4 ags groups ads  :
- 1 with managed placements (20)  with ads text only : 15 impressions for 3 days  !
- 1 remarketing only with 1 text  ad but with graphic ads mainly  + 1 kw (so  placements are automatics)  : 186 impres.
- 1 with graphic ads mainly + 1 text ad + 1 kw (so  placements are automatic)  : 0 impression
- 1 with 2 graphic ads + 1 kw only on Youtube : 0 impression

Do you have any tips for my campaign to get more impressions ? Tks a lot in advance !

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Impressions on Display GDN

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Find my comments bellow, of course others can provide suggestions too :

1) General question : is the campaign limited by scheduling and 1 city ?

2)   - 1 with managed placements (20)  with ads text only : 15 impressions for 3 days  !

When you configure this ad group what traffic is estimated in the Venn diagram ?

When you look at these sites in the Display Planner, how many weekly impressions are there in total ?

Use in the Display planner the same scheduling that you have in the Campaign.

Learn from the Display Planner what types of banners are used by these sites and include all sizes of banners too. 

When you look at the AdSense boxes in these sites do you see text ads ?

3) - 1 remarketing only with 1 text  ad but with graphic ads mainly  + 1 kw (so  placements are automatics)  : 186 impres.

How big is the remarketing list ? Could it be useful for you to expand the duration of the list to 180 days to allow the list to grow and the impressions also to grow ?

The keyword is the main restriction here and probably the bid also. I start with bids 3 times higher than the maximum showed by the Display Planner and set 4 automated rules to pause the ad group if 5 clicks occured for example . These rules can run at intervals of 3 hours.

In general remarketing shows me a traffic of 5% of the audience, so if you received 186 impressions in 3 days, aprox 60 per day , I suspect your audience is made from 3000 cookies.

4) - 1 with graphic ads mainly + 1 text ad + 1 kw (so  placements are automatic)  : 0 impression

The keyword blocks traffic here and posibly also the banner size. Try all banner sizes to see more traffic.

Again look at the Venn Diagram, it should suggest what the traffic would be for your restrictions.

5) - 1 with 2 graphic ads + 1 kw only on Youtube : 0 impression

Graphic ads for youtube are 300 x 250 and appear to the right of the videos. I suspect the keyword is blocking most of the traffic since text can rarely be matched on youtube. From where do you expect to match the text, the title of videos and the small descriptions ?

Also the bid for youtube is for me slightly higher than other placements, because of a lot of competition.

Again you can use a high bid to probe at what avg. cpc. impressions start to be gained and automated rules for pausing the ad group after some clicks.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Find my comments bellow, of course others can provide suggestions too :

1) General question : is the campaign limited by scheduling and 1 city ?

2)   - 1 with managed placements (20)  with ads text only : 15 impressions for 3 days  !

When you configure this ad group what traffic is estimated in the Venn diagram ?

When you look at these sites in the Display Planner, how many weekly impressions are there in total ?

Use in the Display planner the same scheduling that you have in the Campaign.

Learn from the Display Planner what types of banners are used by these sites and include all sizes of banners too. 

When you look at the AdSense boxes in these sites do you see text ads ?

3) - 1 remarketing only with 1 text  ad but with graphic ads mainly  + 1 kw (so  placements are automatics)  : 186 impres.

How big is the remarketing list ? Could it be useful for you to expand the duration of the list to 180 days to allow the list to grow and the impressions also to grow ?

The keyword is the main restriction here and probably the bid also. I start with bids 3 times higher than the maximum showed by the Display Planner and set 4 automated rules to pause the ad group if 5 clicks occured for example . These rules can run at intervals of 3 hours.

In general remarketing shows me a traffic of 5% of the audience, so if you received 186 impressions in 3 days, aprox 60 per day , I suspect your audience is made from 3000 cookies.

4) - 1 with graphic ads mainly + 1 text ad + 1 kw (so  placements are automatic)  : 0 impression

The keyword blocks traffic here and posibly also the banner size. Try all banner sizes to see more traffic.

Again look at the Venn Diagram, it should suggest what the traffic would be for your restrictions.

5) - 1 with 2 graphic ads + 1 kw only on Youtube : 0 impression

Graphic ads for youtube are 300 x 250 and appear to the right of the videos. I suspect the keyword is blocking most of the traffic since text can rarely be matched on youtube. From where do you expect to match the text, the title of videos and the small descriptions ?

Also the bid for youtube is for me slightly higher than other placements, because of a lot of competition.

Again you can use a high bid to probe at what avg. cpc. impressions start to be gained and automated rules for pausing the ad group after some clicks.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Also this information could help you :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/View-through-conversions/m-p/205514/highlight/tru...

"Some placements won't show impression data if the number of impressions on a given day are below a certain threshold and 0 clicks have occurred. This is only for automatic placements and not managed placements."

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Adrian B

Many tks for your explanations, it helps me a lot..

1/ No

2) -> 1 with managed placements (20)  with ads text only

Venn : 450 K - 500 K Impressions

3 out of 20 :
-  45k - 50 k
- 350 - 400 k
- 10 k - 15 k
Yes i see text ads for those placements.

Remaining placements  ...
- 0 - 1 k  Smiley Sad

Strange enough (screeshot) these placements now seems not to be available ? http://www.screencast.com/t/WkncQjn5ZGG

What do you mean by "Use in the Display planner the same scheduling " i can't see any options in ad planner regarding "schedule" settings .

3) - 1 remarketing only with 1 text  ad but with graphic ads mainly  + 1 kw (so  placements are automatics)  : 186 impres.

yes ! Well done : 3000 cookies but i can't change my duration (google analytics list) so i assume that from GA, i 'd able to change the window ?

"set 4 automated rules to pause the ad group if 5 clicks occured for example" . Sorry what do you mean by "5 clicks" ? I understand you mean that to avoid spending a lot ?

4) - 1 with graphic ads mainly + 1 text ad + 1 kw (so  placements are automatic)  : 0
Venn : 1 Md - 5 Md Impressions

5) - 1 with 2 graphic ads + 1 kw only on Youtube : 0 impression

I know regarding the banner size, i precisely choose the right format 300 x 250.

From where do you expect to match the text, the title of videos and the small descriptions ? Sorry but i don't understand (language speaking)..I mean i set 1 text ad with the kw matching the title of the ad. The 2 other come from Adwords tool builder (flash).

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am amazed that I guessed your remarketing list size Smiley Happy

2) You just realised that 17 out of 20 placements have very low traffic . They seem to be a part of AdSense but I do not know what that lack of data means in the Display Planner. I would try to manually hunt for AdSense boxes to see what they show on those placements . Anyway they have very low traffic so do not expect much from them even if you place them separately with a high bid.

Now regarding the Venn for the top 3 placements , the Venn estimate is made only from your placement targetting and does not account for other campaign or Ad group restrictions that you woud expect like :

- keywords, Ad formats, and more location,scheduling language of visitors, frequency capping.

For example for one ad group where a placement has the potential of 200.000 weekly impressions, the Venn Diagram also greets me with a amazing message 

" You've limited your potential reach to a very small number of people. Your ad group might receive very few impressions and clicks.

Your potential reach may be lower than shown because certain information, like keywords or ad formats, isn't included in these estimates."

I would use an estimation of 0.1 % daily traffic from the Venn diagram. This is the multiplier that I use. So from a set of placements with weekly 200.000 impressions I would hope for 200 daily impressions.

2.1 ) Display Planner Scheduling : is available under the selection of Location and Language in the left panel. First thing switch it to ON ( it is OFF by default) and select a time frame like 9 AM to 6 PM to notice how the estimates drop to 50% or less. Switch it on and off to compare estimates for weekly impressions. Brilliant feature isn't it ?

3 ) Yes for audiences from analytics the solution is to create new audience with the desired duration and check the box to "include past visitors". For the adwords audiences duration could be switched directly in the adwords interface.

Yes checking for clicks was to avoid spending a lot, until you find the right bid that triggers impressions on a placement. I tend to use custom bids for placements because each has its own "set of customers", its own competitors and 1 ad group bid does not unlock all placements equally.

4) The mistery here is the fact that Venn diagram does not account for....keyword restrictions Smiley Happy

Once you have set a keyword, you cannot estimate how much traffic you lose. Remove the keyword or create more ad groups for the same placement, same Ad but each with 5-10 keywords to allow more placement pages to match your contextual targeting.

5) Using a keyword and a placement restricts traffic to pages from that placement which include that keyword mainly . It is very different from the search targetting. Using a keyword also used in the Text Ad headline does not ensure success like in a Search Campaign , it only restricts impressions a lot.

It is like asking the website owner this : "Display my Ad only when the user sees a page which tells a story about the meaning of keyword".

Keywords in display campaigns are interpreted as Broad match so they could match pages about their synonims too.

Read more about contextual targeting from here : 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404186

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi there
You have narrowed your campaign targeting too much with "above the fold" and probably a bid too low in placements (which  are probably popular). So, your ad  does not take part in the auction;

My recommendation: Remove the "above the fold" and higher your bid.

Also, is  the ad an image ad? - if so make sure that you have banners with all sizes available, so it could win any slot available on the page. (In other words you participate in an auction for all slots available on the page).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are from US you can use this feature to get a guaranteed no. of impressions, after you set a targetting :

https://www.google.com/intl/ALL_ca/ads/innovations/gdnreserve.html

Otherwise you split the total potential of impressions from the Venn diagram with the rest of the advertisers, and only get a small slice which becomes even smaller if you use other restrictions like keywords.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
@Adrian; To my knowledge "Display Reserve" is NOT a bidding service, but a kind of "DoubleClick" / AdExchnge format of CPM, in a known price, in which you buy media "in bulk". But, I could be wrong, since the last time I looked into this was in 2011 - when introduced (If I recall correctly....)
This is a different type of bidding strategy - NOT the OP's intent in his initial question.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes , you are right, the text reads as if it is CPM bidding. I noticed how it guarantees a number of impressions regardless of the exclusions like "above the fold" so I thought it could bring him clicks and conversions too. It looked like a good option to gain many impressions fast. The text there says 

"Then, you can add on advanced targeting, like geographic, demographic, and above-the-fold."

Thank you for underlining what is important about that feature.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks again Adrian B..for your useful comments..

4) - 1 with graphic ads mainly + 1 text ad + 1 kw (so  placements are automatic)  : 0 Venn : 1 Md - 5 Md Impressions..

You say : "Remove the keyword or create more ad groups for the same placement, same Ad but each with 5-10 keywords to allow more placement pages to match your contextual targeting"
But I haven't got any auto placements shown in  my reports, so...Smiley Sad  !

5) - 1 with 2 graphic ads + 1 kw only on Youtube : 0 impression
So you advise me to remove my Kw but keeping my placement, is that right ?