2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions and Clicks outside of targeted locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I specifically target locations. That is, I only provide my service to specific suburbs. I have used 'Radius Targeting' to carefully pinpoint these areas.

Today I received a 'Quick Quote' website Form response inquiry from 'tamborine'. This is about 800 klms outside targeted locations I have set. I checked Search Items and found a Search Term 'skip bins tamborine brisbane' with one impression and one click. I contacted the person and they confirmed they were in Brisbane.

Now when I check 'Dimensions' - 'User locations' and check every Click the report indicates ALL Clicks were generated within my Target Locations. How on earth can this be?

AdWords suggestion is a customer within my targeted area did a search for 'skip bins tamborine brisbane' saw my ad and clicked it then clicked off my site without filling out any Form or calling to inquire. At the same time a customer in brisbane did a search and clicked an organic listing and filled out a 'Quick Quote' form. That is absurd. It would be a trillion to one shot that scenario occurred.

There is a little twist. The brisbane customers 'Quick Quote' Form was not generated from the AdWords landing page it was filled out from the Home Page. Suggesting a generic search.

What more than likely happened is he did a search in brisbane my ad came up he has clicked on it and then clicked Home navigation and filled out the Form on the Home Page.

What is annoying is these clicks wasting my budget!

'skip bins brisbane'

'skip bins albury nsw'

'skip bins nelson bay'

'skip bins tamborine brisbane' (discussed)

These Clicks wasted 30% of my daily budget!

I have gone in and 'Excluded' all other Australian states in the hope it will limit impressions and wasted Clicks.

Any suggestions to limit unwanted impressions and Clicks would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

GeoTargeting.jpgFrom Keywords - Search Terms report

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael J
August

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Michael J,

Change your campaign's location options (advanced) settings as:

Target:  People in my targeted location
Exclude: People in my excluded location

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael J
August

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Michael J,

Change your campaign's location options (advanced) settings as:

Target:  People in my targeted location
Exclude: People in my excluded location

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent, thanks Archit I went straight in and changed that setting.

Now set to:

"Exclude: People in my excluded location"

Michael

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Also, change the Target settings to People in my targeted location

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Archit yep I have that one set correctly.

Michael

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Michael,

Even after you fix this, you still might get occasional enquiries from people outside the areas you target - that is because for the geo-targeting Google relies on 3rd parties for IP address data, and the data isn't 100% perfect. There's nothing you or Google can do about it...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob

Agreed there could be a margin of error here. My IP address at home gives a location three suburbs away as that is the connection point where my Internet connection is routed too. But, 800klms is a bit of a stretch lol.

After making the changes things are looking good today. I did have one person call with a inquiry outside my targeted area but his search was executed within my targeted area. Just that he needed the service across the other side of town.

I did have one 'Search Term' logged as 'skip bin brisbane' again so I have put 'brisbane' in as a negative Keyword.

Just one question on using exclusion settings. If I exclude a state eg NSW Australia or Texas USA but inside that State I have a number of areas set as 'Include'. Does 'Excluded Areas' setting overide and block the 'Included Areas' settings?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Exclusions will override inclusions.

Example from Google:

If you run ad campaigns for an independent real estate brokerage in Hawaii, but you don't have a location on Maui, you can target the entire state of Hawaii but exclude Maui only.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722040

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob

What I would like to do is Exclude the entire State of Hawaii but Include Maui as a targeted location.

I am going a little cross eyed. Including Maui then having to go and click each other area of Hawaii and Excluding them. Would be easier if I could Include Maui then select Exclude Hawaii leaving Maui targeted.

Michael

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Change the Target settings to People in my targeted location - then there is no need for any exclusions - just include Maui.