Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions & clicks - beginner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone-

yesterday I had 3,200 impression on my first ever ad campaign. Today, 40!  - even though someone in the community said don't  look for your ad on Google because it will affect your status and Google will demote you!. Started a new campaign - still nothing - impressions or clicks  ??  . Any ideas?  thanks - Niko

1 Expert replyverified_user
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Niko S
September 2015

Re: Impressions & clicks - beginner

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Niko,

It looks like something is out of its place in your account. If you want to know then you should do following :
Click on keywords tab >> Select all your keywords >> Click on details dropdown tab >> Click on keyword diagnosis.
The program will display the status and reason for your issue.
OR
Most likely your account is under review as new accounts go into review. Acc to Google it may take upto 72 hrs, but generally it is completed in less than 24 hours.

Anyway still try keyword diagnosis and post the result here.

Hope this helps, Ujjwal

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
Yes, you could be under a manual review... OR you have put up some really generic keywords (possibly competitor or brand names which aren't yours) which get loads of searches, but because you don't own the brand or name which you are bidding on, you don't get many clicks.

Therefore Google realises you are not that brand or name and lowers your keyword quality score to the point where ads are not triggering. This is a fairly standard cause of why you see loads of impressions at launch, and then once Google catches up with you the ads just stop showing.

That said, I could be wrong and you might just be under a manual review!
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nik,

I agree with Jack and Ujjwal to a certain extent.

Your account could be under review, but then you would be getting no impressions.

Jack's answer gets more to the point. If you had a low CTR on those 3200 impressions, as compared to your competition, your QS would drop, and that lowers your AdRank. It sounds like your AdRank has dropped below the first page of results, so you only got 40 impressions.

First suggestion, look at the QS on your keywords. Have they dropped significantly since you started the campaign? If they have, people who saw your ad did not find it "relevant". Your keywords and ad copy weren't a good fit (according to the users, not Google). That's just how the system works. You can try different ad copy--in the same ad group, or you can tighten up the keywords and match types in your account.

Second suggestion: Look at the search terms for your broad match and/or BMM keywords. Are they related to your product/service? If not, that's why your CTR is low. You can add the unrelated search queries as negative, either phrase or exact to block your ad from showing for those unrelated queries.

Once you have addressed these issues, you may need to raise your Max CPC bids to get a good number of impressions. When you have a better CTR, you will be able to lower those bids.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ujjawal M,
Thanks for your reply. I did all the checking of keywords & in fact, put in more that Google had suggested for me....
I'm just trying things now by trial & error. thanks - Niko.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I considered putting up our competitors name as I saw a youtube vid saying that was a good way to get business - but I emailed the 'google help partner' in Manila because I wanted to make sure it was o.k. with Google to do that. He said it was fine . Then I asked if there was any way that my competitor could know that I was doing that (like through Alexa etc.) He said that the competitor would know if the tried their own business name and my ad came up.... so naturally I didn't do it.....
But interesting tips anyway. Thanks for your reply.
- Niko.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pee,
Many thanks for your reply - & sorry for taking a while - have been very busy with 2 businesses.
Someone suggested that they noticed a high number of impressions at the start of a campaign which then drops off. So now I just stop & start campaigns. I'm very careful when I run a campaign to always bid enough to stay on page one at least.
What I find very strange is that the the CPC does not seem to make any difference to the QS. - Or the QS to the CPC?
Thanks for tips on key words. I've tried lots of things. Added suggestions from Google - then deleted them after a few days when they did not attract a click.
Another thing, it's the same 3 or 4 key phrases which attract clicks. Not the other 20 or so!. I've also lowered my cost per click. Works just as well - if not better. The Google partners pointed me 'up the wrong path there'. They pushed me to bid higher than I needed to. Still have a lot to learn.
Thanks all, Niko.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Niko,

It looks like something is out of its place in your account. If you want to know then you should do following :
Click on keywords tab >> Select all your keywords >> Click on details dropdown tab >> Click on keyword diagnosis.
The program will display the status and reason for your issue.
OR
Most likely your account is under review as new accounts go into review. Acc to Google it may take upto 72 hrs, but generally it is completed in less than 24 hours.

Anyway still try keyword diagnosis and post the result here.

Hope this helps, Ujjwal
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
Yes, you could be under a manual review... OR you have put up some really generic keywords (possibly competitor or brand names which aren't yours) which get loads of searches, but because you don't own the brand or name which you are bidding on, you don't get many clicks.

Therefore Google realises you are not that brand or name and lowers your keyword quality score to the point where ads are not triggering. This is a fairly standard cause of why you see loads of impressions at launch, and then once Google catches up with you the ads just stop showing.

That said, I could be wrong and you might just be under a manual review!
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nik,

I agree with Jack and Ujjwal to a certain extent.

Your account could be under review, but then you would be getting no impressions.

Jack's answer gets more to the point. If you had a low CTR on those 3200 impressions, as compared to your competition, your QS would drop, and that lowers your AdRank. It sounds like your AdRank has dropped below the first page of results, so you only got 40 impressions.

First suggestion, look at the QS on your keywords. Have they dropped significantly since you started the campaign? If they have, people who saw your ad did not find it "relevant". Your keywords and ad copy weren't a good fit (according to the users, not Google). That's just how the system works. You can try different ad copy--in the same ad group, or you can tighten up the keywords and match types in your account.

Second suggestion: Look at the search terms for your broad match and/or BMM keywords. Are they related to your product/service? If not, that's why your CTR is low. You can add the unrelated search queries as negative, either phrase or exact to block your ad from showing for those unrelated queries.

Once you have addressed these issues, you may need to raise your Max CPC bids to get a good number of impressions. When you have a better CTR, you will be able to lower those bids.

Best of Luck!

Pete
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ujjawal M,
Thanks for your reply. I did all the checking of keywords & in fact, put in more that Google had suggested for me....
I'm just trying things now by trial & error. thanks - Niko.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I considered putting up our competitors name as I saw a youtube vid saying that was a good way to get business - but I emailed the 'google help partner' in Manila because I wanted to make sure it was o.k. with Google to do that. He said it was fine . Then I asked if there was any way that my competitor could know that I was doing that (like through Alexa etc.) He said that the competitor would know if the tried their own business name and my ad came up.... so naturally I didn't do it.....
But interesting tips anyway. Thanks for your reply.
- Niko.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pee,
Many thanks for your reply - & sorry for taking a while - have been very busy with 2 businesses.
Someone suggested that they noticed a high number of impressions at the start of a campaign which then drops off. So now I just stop & start campaigns. I'm very careful when I run a campaign to always bid enough to stay on page one at least.
What I find very strange is that the the CPC does not seem to make any difference to the QS. - Or the QS to the CPC?
Thanks for tips on key words. I've tried lots of things. Added suggestions from Google - then deleted them after a few days when they did not attract a click.
Another thing, it's the same 3 or 4 key phrases which attract clicks. Not the other 20 or so!. I've also lowered my cost per click. Works just as well - if not better. The Google partners pointed me 'up the wrong path there'. They pushed me to bid higher than I needed to. Still have a lot to learn.
Thanks all, Niko.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Niko,

The high number of impressions at the start of a campaign is not because the campaign has just started per se. It is because there is no history in your account for the keyword(s). It pulls QS from across all accounts that have used the keyword in the past and asssigns a QS accordingly.

Once your campaign starts and you have accrued a bit of history (1000 impressions or more), the performance of the keyword(s) in your own account become the prime factor in QS. Starting and stopping your campaign, or even deleting the campaign and starting a new one will not have the same result.

If you continue to get a lower QS than when you started your campaign, that really means that the CTR is comparatively lower than other advertisers using the same keyword. To improve the QS, you need to improve the CTR. Do that by testing new ad copy in your ad groups. Keep one "control" ad, and add a few tests, changing your value proposition and/or call to action. Add new ads with new elements one piece at a time, or you won't know which changed caused improved results. Keep testing.

If your other 20 keywords are getting a significant number of impressions and no clicks, delete or pause those keywords. They are bringing your account score down, and that does affect your QS on individual keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete