AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions always on the first page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The number of impressions count is the always on the first search page shown?

Thanks

Mary

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Doug E
September 2015

Re: Impressions always on the first page?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it - does it make a sound? ;-)

I can see why this is confusing... but actually it's quite simple... an impression is when your ad appears on a searcher's screen.... so if it's not in the top 10 results then it will not show when the initial search is run - so no impression.

If the searcher then clicks through to the second page of search results and the ad appears - then that is an impression - now it counts!

It's not quite the same with display image ads..... and this is a subtle but important distinction.

With display ads the impression is counted when the ad is on the page... but some pages are very long and there is a chunk of the page that a visitor would have to scroll down to see. If your ad is placed further down the page, the impression still counts - it is there - but unless the visitor scrolls down they will not see it. So the impression counts even though the ad is never seen.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Doug E, Welcome to the Community,

Please read the following answer about the same concern :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Can-I-ask-a-question-about-impressions/m-p...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Doug E
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it - does it make a sound? ;-)

I can see why this is confusing... but actually it's quite simple... an impression is when your ad appears on a searcher's screen.... so if it's not in the top 10 results then it will not show when the initial search is run - so no impression.

If the searcher then clicks through to the second page of search results and the ad appears - then that is an impression - now it counts!

It's not quite the same with display image ads..... and this is a subtle but important distinction.

With display ads the impression is counted when the ad is on the page... but some pages are very long and there is a chunk of the page that a visitor would have to scroll down to see. If your ad is placed further down the page, the impression still counts - it is there - but unless the visitor scrolls down they will not see it. So the impression counts even though the ad is never seen.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve , to follow up on your know how "so if it's not in the top 10 results then it will not show "

Until recently I thought that the first page in Search had 11 results instead of 10, because I see 11 ads for example on high traffic keywords like "insurance", not because I found it written anywhere.Then I have read this help page 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en

where it says "An average position of 1-8 is generally on the first page of search results, 9-16 is generally on the second page, and so on."

So now I do not know if positions 9 to 11 are defined as being on the first page Smiley Happy I am confused too

After all , how many paid ads are the maximum on the first page ? I know the organic results are 10, but this story is not about them.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Also what happens with impressions in the GDN when this feature is used :

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/abovethefold.html

Is it still true that "So the impression counts even though the ad is never seen." ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If it is above the fold, then it is seen (or should I say it is displayed in the browser viewport, as we do not actually know if it is noticed or not), it is specified in the page you linked to:

By excluding the "below the fold" category in your AdWords account, ads in your Google Display Network campaign will only appear when a placement can display your ad when the page loads, without having to scroll.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. Do you know what this means that an avg. pos. "9-16 is generally on the second page" ? 

We can read the avg. pos. in the adwords interface but what exact positions mean "the first page" as Doug E asked ? I think Steve says if an Ad is not in the top 10 positions it will not be counted as impression , but I have also seen 11 paid ads on the first page. The Ad 11 is counted as on the second page ?

This is very confusing Smiley Happy

On the ValueTrack page about Ad positions they give examples only about how the results show up on the first page :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/08/tracking-your-ad-position-with.html

“1t2” = page 1, top, position 2

• “1s3” = page 1, side, position 3"

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Let's simplify: you cannot register an impression if the page does not render.

On the other hand, as far as I can see, positions will always be reported as 1-11, even when you move to the second page. Therefore I'm afraid that a position higher than 11 is not possible, in the current configuration. I have checked ads on page 5 of the SERP and the position parameter is still sent as 1-11.

Summing up, for the OP:

- impressions are counted whenever a page has rendered and your ad was shown
- one cannot tell, from the average position alone, if the ad was not renedered on pages higher than 1
- if ads receive clicks, valuetrack can help because it also reports the page on which the click (not the impression) was recorded

On the other hand, I think we should stop theorizing and hypothesizing, as we have come quite a long way from the original question and at this point we're no longer helping the original poster.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Adwiser,

If i am allowed to jump in this thread, i would like to add some snapshot of the keywords which have Avg Positions > 11.

Avg Pos.PNG

Avg Pos1.png

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Thank you, Rakesh.

I thus stand corrected, position is reported beyond 11, even though I did not find such data myself.

Also, the "num" parameter passed by Google along with the click is most likely not the only one used in calculating the position (page is used as well).