Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Impressions Estimate 7x Greater than Monthly Search Volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

In using keyword planner, I have noticed the impressions estimate is always much larger than the keyword search volume.

How does this make sense? Shouldn't they be close if not the same?

How are each of them calculated?

EXAMPLE

Search Volume = 300k monthly

Impressions = 65k daily, or almost 2,000,000 monthly

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impressions Estimate 7x Greater than Monthly Search Volume

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

The search volume data is based on the exact match type of the keyword. On the other hand, the impression data is based on what match type you are inserting in the keyword planner field.

For example, the keyword " start a business" (phrase match type) in the impression data could show for the search query " how to start a business" that will be counted in number of impressions.

So, when you examine the impression data you see all the queries data related to the keyword unlike the search volume data which is shown based only on the exact keyword.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ahmad,

Taking @trevor's question ahead. (not hijacking Smiley Happy )

Before trying to answer his question, I did a research on it. Yes, that's right that 'Avg. Monthly Searches' are counted based on Exact Match. And the number of impressions can take Match Type into account. I tested it. I changed the match type to Exact for all the keywords in Keyword Planner. Still, there's huge difference in the numbers.

Estimated "Daily" Impression Forecast almost equals to Avg. "Monthly" Searches. How?

Inputs will be appreciated as I couldn't find much on Help Center on it.

Thanks
Ratan

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ratan,

The exact match type for impressions data includes close variants such as misspellings, singular and plural forms and acronyms. On the other hand, the search volume data doesn't include any close variants, it depends only on the exact term without any variants.

Search Volume:- The average number of times people have searched for this exact keyword based on the date range and targeting settings that you've selected.

About the number: We calculate the average number of searches for this exact keyword based on the date range, location, and Search Network targeting settings that you've selected (not including your language setting).

My 2 Cents!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for the explanation. But it still remains.

Can the close variants such as misspellings, singular and plural forms and acronyms be so large in number?

The average monthly searches almost equals to the daily expected impressions with Exact Match selected. So, in a month it will be 30 times larger. How can close variants make up for this big difference.

Can close variants make total impressions go 30 times larger?

I am sure there's something more in it. Or may be the Average Monthly Searches count only unique searches per user... not sure though. What do you say?

Thanks
Ratan

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wow... I am so glad you answered this, Ahmad.

The funny thing is I never added the keywords differently in traffic estimator, just took the same keywords from the search volume estimates and opened them in the traffic estimator.

When I added brackets, they amount is lower. Now it's 480k monthly impressions vs. 300k monthly search volume. Only off by 60% (a lot... actually). I guess this can include users viewing more than one page?

Impressions Estimate 7x Greater than Monthly Search Volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ahmed,

I disgree with your point that Avg. Monthly searches is only for exact keyword and does not include close variants. In reality, it actually does. Following link from Google confirms it -https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en

Copied the snippet below - 

• Average monthly searches ("Avg. monthly searches"): The average number of times people have searched for a keyword and its close variants based on the targeting settings and date range you've selected. By default, we average the number of searches for the term over a 12-month period.