3.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Impression share vs avg position vs top of page rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been looking through the auction insights report and see that I have a very high impression share, usually number 1 or 2, but my avg position and top of page rate is very low and not so good compared to my competitors...

Whats the main reason this would be the case?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impression share vs avg position vs top of page rate

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Halil D

Impression Share is often misunderstood as the share of total impressions available in the target areas. Let's take the confusion away -

Impression share is the number of impressions you have received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive. This eligibility is ascertained based on your targeting settings, bids, Quality Scores, etc. 

So quite obviously, if your impression share is the highest, it does not mean you are taking all the impressions available according to your target criteria. It only means that your ads are showing more often when they are eligible to show up. 

An impression share of 90% means your ads are showing almost every time it is eligible. To be more precise, it's showing 9 out of 10 times. 

Things to note -

• A higher impression share does not necessarily mean a great performance. It can also mean that you need to expand your keyword portfolio. If an adgroup has just three keywords and that too in Exact Match, it's considerably much easier to get a higher impression share in a smaller target geography. 
  • If others metrics are not looking good even when you have the highest impression share, it may mean that your ads are showing but at lower positions, or may be your ad copies are not compelling enough. You should work to improve your ad positions and CTR. It will require you to work with ad copies, extensions, and bids majorly. Once your ads start ranking higher and CTR is improved, you are more likely to see lifts in performance.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How does a competitor then have a lower search impression, however a much better avg. position and top of page rate?

in google shopping campaign, this competitor is number 1 at the top of page results, but if you click on the shopping tab they are much lower or not even on that page..that confuses me how that works..an ad will appear on top section on first page, but if you click on shopping tab its not the same positions, diffferent ads appear..

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Ratan provided some very useful information for you there, i just want to add this observation. 

In your question, you stated that your "very high impression impression share, usually number 1 or 2". That sounds like average ad position (on the SERP page), version impression share which is measured as a %. 

Just want to make sure we are understanding your question, and that you understand impression share is a percentage, as defined by Ratan.

Re: Impression share vs avg position vs top of page rate

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Halil D

These are really nice questions. Let me take this one by one. 

@Halil D wrote:

How does a competitor then have a lower search impression, however a much better avg. position and top of page rate?

The most probable reason can be - 

Your competitor in question may have a broader keyword portfolio than you have. But, they may be doing better with QS and Ad Ranks. It means there ads are showing at higher positions and getting better interactions whenever they are showing. Even if their ads are showing half of the times your ads are showing, their ads are ranking higher. This gives them, better positions but lower Search Impression Share. 

@Halil D wrote:

in google shopping campaign, this competitor is number 1 at the top of page results, but if you click on the shopping tab they are much lower or not even on that page..that confuses me how that works..an ad will appear on top section on first page, but if you click on shopping tab its not the same positions, diffferent ads appear..

The Impression Share of Shopping Campaigns is not consolidated with usual text search ads. You can see its report by going to your Shopping Campaign and checking the Auction Insights. 

About different results on Shopping Tab in Google search, Shopping Tab is not available in all countries now. I sense something is going on with it. But that's a different product altogether and does not work the same as Google AdWords result. You see normal listings mainly there, the paid ones do not dominate there. When we talk about Shopping campaigns/ads on search, we talk about ads that you see with usual search results. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.