Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Image display network not working for my campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings,

I am at a loss for how to fix my image display ad campaign.  About 2 weeks back, I had uploaded a 300x250 sized flash ad into a new image display network campaign.  The ad got approved, and the campaign was set up with the following configurations:

Keywords - About 30 or so specific keywords pertaining to my product (it is a computer made for senior citizens) for example "computer for seniors", "computer for elderly", "easy computer" and "simple computer" 

Display Network : Specific Reach

Managed Placements: Added 328 websites that are related to seniors, or things seniors would be interested in such as news websites and retirement websites, obituaries ect.

Audiences: Left this section blank

CPC: Set avg CPC to $2.75, max budget 175$ per day.

The Results? At the start of this campaign I received a few thousand impressions and no clicks.  I then changed the Specific Reach setting to Broad Reach.  The next day I received about 150k impressions and no clicks.  After that day, I received 0 impressions and 0 clicks for the following few days.  Okay...strike one.

I decided to increase the number of keywords and make them less specific, so I added keywords like "computer" "senior" "technology" "aging".  The next day I saw 976 impressions and 3 clicks....not much better.  I am currently getting a few hundred impressions per day and no clicks.

My goal is to be getting thousands of impressions per day, with hundreds of clicks.  I would be happy to spend a few hundred dollars per day, assuming the resulting traffic was high quality (measured by a high time on site per visit).  What the heck am I doing wrong here? There are only so many variables at work here....is it my CPC? Is it my keywords? Is it my Ad?

Why would I get 150k impressions in one day, and then have it drop to none?  Is google testing my ad out and labeling it unworthy to get impressions?  Why would I only get a few impressions when I have managed placement specific reach to 300+ hand picked websites?  I had set up a similar managed ad placement campaign for a few youtube.com only domains, and am getting no clicks and few impressions there too..

Please help me display network gurus!

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Image display network not working for my campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Thanks for such detail.

Even with that I can't really say for sure why you are receiving such erratic traffic stats - so high and then so low but here are a few things that came to my mind...

Are you sure all your managed placements accept the flash ad you created?

What are your bids like?  Image/Display ads generally need higher bids than the text ads - they take up more page space which reduces the number of advertisers that can be on a page which increases the competition.

Have you looked at the specifics data stats for each domain that you are getting impressions/traffic from?  See the NETWORKS tab and then show details for managed placement.  See if there is one specific domain that is acting strange - high then low traffic...

I think it was a great idea to loosen those keywords up, but have you considered just removing the keywords altogether and see what happens.  You don’t really need keywords if you are sure you want those managed placement, just have the ads show without the keyword restricting things.  Unless you feel you need control because those managed placements may have certain pages that are not a good fit.  Or even think of excluding certain pages i.e. target the managed placement without keywords and then if you find certain pages on the site that are not working just exclude that page.  See this really granular data under the NETWORKS tab > show details > See URL List.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello TelikinComputer,

I'll suggest you to implement few things which can help you to get more impression and clicks:

• Use the images of all size, don't limit to only 300x250 size, you can use the 200x200, 728x90 etc image format for your ads. This will help you to display ads in all type of websites in any format. Read here to know more.
  • Use two three image ads with different layout, color, design and call to action. Sometime these changes increase the CTR of ads
  • Bid high for ads, banner or images ads are more costly than text ads, bid high so that your ads display on first fold of page.

Google show your ads on basis of your ad group keywords theme, which you are using in right way to target all possible audience.

Dinesh
My Blog

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

Hi TelikinComputer,

As I read through the comments on your post the one thing that came to mind that no one had considered is the quality score for your DN campaign. The same thing has happened to me with DN campaigns when I get huge number of impressions with no clicks. You don't need a lot of clicks or even 1% click-through, but you do need at least some clicks or your ads will get a low quality score and your ads will stop showing.

Thanks for posting the answer from Google support to confirm this.

When you are done tweaking your campaign to get more clicks (and conversions), I'd suggest starting a new campaign. The old campaign will still have an effect on your DN quality score, but you should get impressions this way. If you get clicks on the new campaign, your quality score will go up.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Thanks for such detail.

Even with that I can't really say for sure why you are receiving such erratic traffic stats - so high and then so low but here are a few things that came to my mind...

Are you sure all your managed placements accept the flash ad you created?

What are your bids like?  Image/Display ads generally need higher bids than the text ads - they take up more page space which reduces the number of advertisers that can be on a page which increases the competition.

Have you looked at the specifics data stats for each domain that you are getting impressions/traffic from?  See the NETWORKS tab and then show details for managed placement.  See if there is one specific domain that is acting strange - high then low traffic...

I think it was a great idea to loosen those keywords up, but have you considered just removing the keywords altogether and see what happens.  You don’t really need keywords if you are sure you want those managed placement, just have the ads show without the keyword restricting things.  Unless you feel you need control because those managed placements may have certain pages that are not a good fit.  Or even think of excluding certain pages i.e. target the managed placement without keywords and then if you find certain pages on the site that are not working just exclude that page.  See this really granular data under the NETWORKS tab > show details > See URL List.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello TelikinComputer,

I'll suggest you to implement few things which can help you to get more impression and clicks:

• Use the images of all size, don't limit to only 300x250 size, you can use the 200x200, 728x90 etc image format for your ads. This will help you to display ads in all type of websites in any format. Read here to know more.
  • Use two three image ads with different layout, color, design and call to action. Sometime these changes increase the CTR of ads
  • Bid high for ads, banner or images ads are more costly than text ads, bid high so that your ads display on first fold of page.

Google show your ads on basis of your ad group keywords theme, which you are using in right way to target all possible audience.

Dinesh
My Blog

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Ahhh, Got 4 minute late, why all TC's are so fast Smiley Happy

Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

LOL Dinesh - you added a bunch of Good stuff that I did not!  so glad you were here Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kim,

Thanks for your post.  First of all, I am aware that not all of the managed placement sites that I have chosen will support the 300x250 size ad.  With this said, I still feel that at least half of the 300+ sites I have chosen should support it.  We are currently developing more diverse ads, in different sizes (we will have 3 new ads in 6 different sizes resulting in a total of 18 ads).  Once these ads are added, pretty much all of the sites should support the ads in some form or another.

The current bid set is $2.75.  This is for display ads.  I should have been more clear that this campaign is set up for image display only, there are no text ads whatsoever.

To date, the managed placements have only resulted in about 3,000 impressions over the past 2 weeks.  The impressions are spread out over 40 or so of the hand selected websites.  The general theme is very very low impressions.

The 150k impressions came when I opened the campaign up to broad search.  The "automatic placement" resulted in a high contrentration of impressions over about 5 websites.  "anonymous.google, adtechus.com, seniorpeoplemeet.com, blackpeoplemeet.com and youtube.com" made up 98% of these impressions.  Again, strangely enough, the impressions stopped after the first day of opening up to broad search.

I'm glad you brought up the point about keywords (or lackthereof).  I was actually curious to see what would happen if i completely removed the keywords and kept the settings narrowed to just my managed placements.  I assumed it would serve my ad to all of the websites I had selected without restricting it to pages matching my keywords....unfortunately it didn't.  At this point it doesnt seem to matter what I do, I just cant seem to get impressions.

I kind of get the feeling that Google tested out my ad on that initial 150k impression spike day, saw that it got no clicks, deemed it unworthy of being served, and is now muzzling my impression bandwidth.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Dinesh.

As mentioned in my last post, we definately plan on adding a whole bunch of new ads in new sizes.  Hopefully this will help, but it doesn't explain why I can seem to get started with one ad in a test environment.

Do you feel that $2.75 may be too low of a bid?  My target avg cpc is around $1.00-1.50.  Is the google image display network really over $3 per click?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Sorry I did see after I posted that you are bidding $2.75.  You may have to play around with the bids to make sure you are not underbidding.  There is likley not many spots available for the one ad you have created on the DN sites - even tho you have 300+ Managed Placements think how many of those are accepting the one ad you created and how many other advertisers are fighting for that spot too.  It may put you into a place of very high competition and you may need to increase the bid.

Automatic placements would explain the 150K spike but I am not sure about the test or the bandwidth stuff.   I think you are just limited maybe limiting yourself with the one ad and perhaps your bidding.  Expedite creating the other ads - have you looked at the Display Ad Builder?  It may be an easier option for you and if you can create some nice looking ads you can launch those and then keep working on your flash ads.  http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/plan-creative-campaigns/display-ad-builder.html

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

PS FWIW I have advertisers who pay $4.00 per click on the Display Network for static image ads.  So yes, it is possible that you will have to pay more than you originally thought Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kim,

Thanks again for your reply.  I do see your point about just having one ad size, and the competition problem.

I just got off the phone with a customer service representative from adwords, and he confirmed my suspicions about why my campaign is not getting impressions.  I had receieved 150k impressions and no clicks and Google's algorithm made a note of this.  My ad receiving all these impressions and no clicks caused it to be labeled as "low quality" and taken off the table so to speak.

The solution for me would be to make more compelling ads that actually result in clicks for a higher quality score.  This high quality score will get more more impressions.  Its kind of like a catch 22.

Unfortunately, if I prioritize getting clicks and having a high click through rate, I will most likely be getting a higher number of people who aren't interested in my product, which would be a waste of money.

My goal going forward is to launch a new campaign with better performing ads (in multiple sizes) and try to find the sweet spot between high CTR, but also high quality clicks that result in leads.  I have my fingers crossed...hopefully it will succeed.