AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Image ads showing, but on which sites?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!
I set up a campaign to run in the display network. For the ad group, I entered a list of specific URL's for managed placements, and I also added a list of keywords.

I'm getting impressions and also clicks, but the majority of clicks are coming from the keywords and not the specified URL's. Which is fine.

But ... Google's not showing me the sites (or URL's) that the image ads are showing up on via the keywords clicks. So I have no idea where they're showing and I'm not able to exclude any of them.

Shouldn't I be able to see a list of these automatic placements somewhere in the Adwords admin?

Thank you,
Ben

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Image ads showing, but on which sites?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi QuickBen,

Yes, you can have just managed placements as an Ad Group as long as any of your other Ad Groups in the same Campaign have the same settings.  If you want your ads to only  show on your chosen placements, you must have your settings on "Specific Reach".  *You can only have 1 setting per Campaign so if you want to have Campaign to have just Managed Placements thats fine.  You may also want to have a second Campaign with Managed Placements AND Keywords and have the settings on "Specific reach: Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods".

As far as the "other or auto" placements, unfortunately, sometimes they don't show up for close to 30 days (if ever) after you get an impression.  What I do is everyday, I set my view to "Past 30 days" and view and remove any auto placements that I don't want.  I suggest monitoring these auto placements CLOSELY as I have found that for my Campaigns/Ad Groups the majority of them are of No Value.

Hope this Helps,

RPquest

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ben,

I have a couple of thoughts for you.

First, your network settings should tell you a little more about how your ads will be placed.  For instance:

Taken from here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722050

Display Network - Broad reach: Show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method: Google matches your ads to sites on the Google Display Network based on your primary targeting method.

- Your ads can appear on a larger number of websites.
- You have less control over where on the Display Network your ads appear.
- You can add specific keywords, placements, audiences, or topics.

If you have more than one targeting method, like keywords and placements, the ads appear when the primary targeting method (in this case, keywords) matches, and the bid of the most specific targeting method (the placement bid) is used.

You should be able to find more information about placements on the placements section of the Display Network tab.  Check 'Automatic Placements' and see if there is more info there for you.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom.

Thank you for your feedback.

My campaign is set up for the display network only and the Broad Reach. And, I'm only using image ads.

Out of 30 clicks, maybe 8 of them are on the list of specific URL's that I entered into the managed placements. So, 22 of the clicks are from the list of keywords.

But there's nothing showing under the Auto Placements, so I have no idea what the url's are where these 22 clicks are coming from. I thought I'd be able to see the url's so I can exclude if necessary.

Any idea why they're not showing up?

Thank you!

Ben

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey QuickBen,

As a best practice I would siggest you run two campaigns.

1. 1st campaign - With contextual targeting, i.e., targeting only via your keywords. Set the campaign setting for this as 'Display Network - Broad Reach'
  2. 2nd campaign - With managed placements. Set the campaign setting for this as 'Display Network - Specific Reach'. This campaign will use your keywords and placements together, i.e., it will show your ads on placements with the keyword themes you picked. For ex: if you pick placement as 'blogspot.com' and you have keyword themes as 'buy shoes online', 'shop for shoes'; then your ads will be showed on blogspot pages which talk about shoes sale online.

Also, you will only see the placements in your placement performance report when you have substantial data aggregated.

Hope this helps you.

-Neeti

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Neeti.

So to be clear ... if I have an Ad Group that has managed placements, I still need to have keywords as well? It's not possible to have just managed placements alone to target just those url's?

Also ... Google says to allow approx 48 hours before seeing the aggregated data (for auto placements) but my campaign was already over 72 hours and no data. On average, how long does it take to see that data? I'm paying per click and have no idea where the ads are showing up. There may be sites that are irrelevant or not desirable. So, any idea how long it takes to see the auto placement url's?

Thanks very much!

Ben

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi QuickBen,

Yes, you can have just managed placements as an Ad Group as long as any of your other Ad Groups in the same Campaign have the same settings.  If you want your ads to only  show on your chosen placements, you must have your settings on "Specific Reach".  *You can only have 1 setting per Campaign so if you want to have Campaign to have just Managed Placements thats fine.  You may also want to have a second Campaign with Managed Placements AND Keywords and have the settings on "Specific reach: Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods".

As far as the "other or auto" placements, unfortunately, sometimes they don't show up for close to 30 days (if ever) after you get an impression.  What I do is everyday, I set my view to "Past 30 days" and view and remove any auto placements that I don't want.  I suggest monitoring these auto placements CLOSELY as I have found that for my Campaigns/Ad Groups the majority of them are of No Value.

Hope this Helps,

RPquest

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, RPquest!

Yes. You definitely helped! I don't know why the Display Network seems to be so much more complicated than the Search network. But, all your answers on this post has definitely cleared up a lot of the confusion.

Thanks very much!

Ben