AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Image Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I run image ads here or is it strictly text? If I can run image ads how do I do it? PLEASE HELP

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Image Ads

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

To create Image ad you can visit this link.

AdWords image ads appear on Google Display Network, but they don't appear on Google Search Network.

Your image ads can appear on the Google Display Network using any targeting method applicable to the display ads, including keywords, topics, placements, and audiences. 

Example - Keyword targeting
If you sell hand-knitted scarves online, you can create an ad group for your image ads with keywords like "wool scarves" and "knitted scarf." Contextual targeting allows your image ads to appear on Google Display Network sites with similar themes, such as websites about clothing, accessories, or blogs for knitting enthusiasts.

>>If you use placement targeting and choose very prominent and popular sites, you may need a higher bid to appear on the website.

>>Use the placement tool to find placements, categories, or topics to target within the Google Display Network.

Example - Placement targeting
If you sell golf equipment and would like your ad to appear on a particular sports news website, placement targeting lets you handpick sites and placements within the Google Display Network

Before running Image ads you have to review Image ads policy.

Hope it helps you!

Thanks
Anchal

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

To create Image ad you can visit this link.

AdWords image ads appear on Google Display Network, but they don't appear on Google Search Network.

Your image ads can appear on the Google Display Network using any targeting method applicable to the display ads, including keywords, topics, placements, and audiences. 

Example - Keyword targeting
If you sell hand-knitted scarves online, you can create an ad group for your image ads with keywords like "wool scarves" and "knitted scarf." Contextual targeting allows your image ads to appear on Google Display Network sites with similar themes, such as websites about clothing, accessories, or blogs for knitting enthusiasts.

>>If you use placement targeting and choose very prominent and popular sites, you may need a higher bid to appear on the website.

>>Use the placement tool to find placements, categories, or topics to target within the Google Display Network.

Example - Placement targeting
If you sell golf equipment and would like your ad to appear on a particular sports news website, placement targeting lets you handpick sites and placements within the Google Display Network

Before running Image ads you have to review Image ads policy.

Hope it helps you!

Thanks
Anchal

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello kdrinky12,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

In addition to detailed explanation from Anchal above, I would like to add about an interesting tool inside your Adwords account called Display Ad Builder, which you can use to create moving image based ads and can choose from many pre-build templates, which is best for your requirement. It is recommended to choose all the formats available in that tool because some domains will allow you short Display Ads and some can allow large banner sort of display ads. You can read about this tool in this reference.

One quick addition I would like to make here is that you should try and create a separate image based ads campaign if possible from the regular text ads because the competition for image ads is mostly high and you might have to bid higher for these ads in comparison to text ads.

Here are some tips for effective display ads which you might consider reading.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Kdrinky12

Both Anchal and Pankaj and provided some really useful insights when creating a Display campaign. I would definitely recommend adding placements and using the Display Ad Builder. 

I would also recommend adding topics to your campaign. Your customers may be interested in certain topics and you can then target website pages about these topics. More information about topics can be found here

This article is also really helpful to understand where your ads will appear on the Display Network besed on your targeting methods.  

I hope this helps!

Rachel