AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

If affinity targeting only show ads on pages related topics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I read about the follow paragraph in this article

We use a combination of someone’s current page information and browsing history when choosing what kind of ad to show. The thresholds we use to determine if someone is likely to have an affinity for certain content are specific to each interest category. Many of the people we believe have long-term interests related to a topic may visit dozens of pages a month about that topic.

Does this mean if add some affinity categories to my interest targeting list, my ads will only show to who are some kind of affinity when they are reading pages that are in interests-related topics.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: If affinity targeting only show ads on pages related topics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Correct ;However, some caution;

I was browsing one day the Adwords community in Chinese and found on my account's  interests list   "chinese", and while doing some research on "road bicycles" - "bicycles"  was added as one of my interests categories.

This is the reason  I prefer topics: Topics refers to websites about  subjects. (Easy to define and to  target).  While interests refers to users (i.e people). As the example shows, it's a harder  task to identify / target users with  a specific interest.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: If affinity targeting only show ads on pages related topics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,
in other word, affinity targeting is kind of topics+interest targeting?