AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

If I type in a website URL into the Keyword research tool, what exactly are the results shown?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

On the keyword research tool, if I enter a URL into the box marked 'Website' and hit search, what exactly is Google showing me in the results page?

1) searches that have been used to access that website?

2) searches that it thinks would be good for that website based on quality score for each phrase for that site?

3) somehting else?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: If I type in a website URL into the Keyword research tool, what exactly are the results shown?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zahid

Welcome to the community!

I´d say it´s showing keywords that you may wanna use when advertising that website ( (suggestions/ideas).

Re: If I type in a website URL into the Keyword research tool, what exactly are the results shown?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Zahid, unless I'm mistaken it should be showing you keyword/ad group ideas based upon the content of the URL you provided.  Of course, for it to work well, your textural content on that URL should accurately and clearly reflect the business being served.

I'll admit I don't use it much myself (too much of an old timer!) but I've just tested it on one of my client sites and the results were pretty good.  They'd make an interesting starting point for building a list, if nothing else.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Guys

I guess what I am wondering is whether Google just bases these suggestions on the text and HTML in the site or whether it also includes something more intelligent, like what phrases it knows are successful in driving traffic to that site.

Z

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I'm pretty certain it's only going to be based upon the content of the site, although I'd imagine there is also a component of "related terms" that perhaps may not exist on the site itself.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Zahid,

Be careful when using that tool and use your best judgement when adding keywords. I find that the tool will give you plenty of suggestions that just aren't right, but could be useful as negative terms. Remember that these are not recommendations, merely suggestions. It's up to you to pick the keywords you think will work for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys. "You're very good" as they would say in this neck o' the woods.

Z