AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Identical display keywords in different campaigns competing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a question about keywords in my display network campaigns.

I know that identical keywords in search campaigns compete with each other, but what about display network campaigns?

Could i use identical display keywords in two different display campaigns if these campaigns partially share one topic?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kristina S
September 2015

Re: Identical display keywords in different campaigns competing?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Kristina;

On the display network,  since keywords work collectively as a theme, I would not say they would compete. The keywords (in the different campaigns)  would work simultaneously, but separately.

With  contextual targeting, all keywords work collectively as a theme, to find the most relevant webpages. For each page a "leading" keyword is identified,  for which  the bid is attributed. (Thus, you could bid differently on each keywords). However, as said, to find relevant pages, the content (on a given webpage) is matched to the theme of all keywords.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kristina

As per my understanding, in Display Network as well both the keywords compete with other because they both trigger nearly same websites. There may be changes that some websites will be different in both the campaigns even with same keywords but websites with major impressions shares will be triggered from both the campaigns.

My views!

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

On the display network,  since keywords work collectively as a theme, I would not say they would compete. The keywords (in the different campaigns)  would work simultaneously, but separately.

With  contextual targeting, all keywords work collectively as a theme, to find the most relevant webpages. For each page a "leading" keyword is identified,  for which  the bid is attributed. (Thus, you could bid differently on each keywords). However, as said, to find relevant pages, the content (on a given webpage) is matched to the theme of all keywords.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kristina S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Kristina;

-Moshe

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

To add to the great advice already mentioned I would recommend reading this paragraph :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580292?hl=en

"How ads that target placements and keywords compete"

Now because in the Display network, double serving is allowed you may notice your Ads appearing more than once on the same page, so there isn't a parallel to be made with the Search campaigns.

Here is a nice print-screen from Google's own AdWords Ads appearing 3 times on a page :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Double-ad-serving-policy-violation-by-Goo...