Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I would like to target 3 languages in 1 location for the same campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to target 3 languages in 1 location for the same campaign: Finnish, Swedish and English in Finland. I am writing ads in all 3 languages, and have keywords for all 3 languages.
If I set up a single campaign with these specifications, how can I ensure that the ad in the correct language appears for specific keyword searches. I would like to avoid for example, a English ad appearing when someone searches in Finnish.

Thank you,

Amy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I would like to target 3 languages in 1 location for the same camp

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Amy; welcome;

Why setting one campaign and not 3 campaigns - each for a different language? It is much easier; no confusion, and most important you can analyze data based on language (per campaign);

Read more:

AdWords Language Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello and thanks for your reply MosheTLV.

It is a great suggestion and might be what I end up doing. I am still wondering though if it is possible to set up in the same campaign a system where language specific ads are shown for keyword searches that correspond to that language. Or rather if google itself understands the language of the search and so only displays ads which match that language.

Although your suggestion is rather functional for what I need, it would facilitate set up if I can organize a single campaign instead of three.

Thanks,

Amy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

AdWords does not translate; and since one URL per ad-group, then you can't have a Finish ad (triggered by a Finish keyword) in the same ad-group with English keywords (that obviously trigger an English ad).

So, if you want one campaign - you'll need to set 3 ad-groups. (One for each language) .

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great! Thank you for your help, I'll give it a shot!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Whilst you can have language specific keywords in each ad group - there are probably going to be some keywords that will be common across the languages - I don't know what you are advertising, but if, for example, you were in the golf space, or you use brand names, or place names, then you will have the possibility of searches in one language triggering ads in another.

Language can only be set at the campaign level - so you need three campaigns. What you must also remember:

The language is not linked to the geo settings - this is set by the browser preferences - hence you can target spanish speakers in Texas.

And - ideally you would want to ensure that your language campaigns direct to language specific areas of the site...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

stickleback is underlining  an important  point to consider:  I do this "automatically" (when targeting Russian, Hebrew ; English ...)  Language must be set at a campaign level, and hence, you'll have to set 3 campaigns, or target 3 languages on the same campaign (see my next reply for   a possible  outcome.)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

To follow with my previous answer; actually,  that could be done  in one campaign;

If you target all languages on the same campaign, you can set 3 ad-groups; one for each language. Remember that Google identifies the user's language according to the browser's settings. So if a user sets language preferences to Finish and English he/ she might get to see ads in both languages (depending on the keyword that matches the search query).

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The real question is: Why the reluctance to set up three camapigns?

It is the obvious route to take....

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Steve;

I completely agree with you: setting 3 campaigns is the best solution!