AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I want to take over adwords from a third party? where do i start?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If we have another agency running an adwords/analytics campaign for us and we wanted to take over. What do I need to do/know to make the transition? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: I want to take over adwords from a third party? where do i start?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Patrick, well, there's the answer to your question Smiley Happy  If the Account is owned and operated by the third-party then you have no choice but to open your own, new, Account with AdWords.

As a general piece of advice to any business, you should always run your Ads under your own Account and this situation is just one of the reasons why.  The only exceptions I'll allow would be where the advertising was a very short limited test of feasibility where it's probably more appropriate for the agency/consultant to use an Account of their own for this limited test.

Having a new Account may be no bad thing Patrick.  If your new AdWords guru is worth their salt it could be better to start with a clean slate.  Just make sure the existing agency has stopped running your Ads before you start otherwise there could be a conflict.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

•  Before you even start talking to the agency about this option,  make sure that you have a full administrative access to the account. Without administrative access you are "in their hands".
  • Did you open the account ?
  • Are you the account owner?  - Account owner is defined as the user accepted the terms of service.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No I believe we don't have full administrative access. Would it be smarter to start a whole new account or get administrative access from the agency?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Starting a new account, and abandoning the current one, is most likely a violation of the double serving section of the Policy;

You must take over the existing account!

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Patrick, can you answer Moshe's other question... Is this YOUR Account or is it one that the current third-party owns/operates?

I'm not sure there actually would be any double-serving issue since as soon as you terminate your contract with the existing party if they continue to advertise your site that's up to them. Google will only show one Ad at a time in any case.

Can you briefly explain your reasons for moving away from the third-party?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is not my account. It is the account of the third-party. He owns and operates the account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Our reasoning is that we have not been seeing alarming results from this and we now have somebody on board in the office that can take this over.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Patrick, well, there's the answer to your question Smiley Happy  If the Account is owned and operated by the third-party then you have no choice but to open your own, new, Account with AdWords.

As a general piece of advice to any business, you should always run your Ads under your own Account and this situation is just one of the reasons why.  The only exceptions I'll allow would be where the advertising was a very short limited test of feasibility where it's probably more appropriate for the agency/consultant to use an Account of their own for this limited test.

Having a new Account may be no bad thing Patrick.  If your new AdWords guru is worth their salt it could be better to start with a clean slate.  Just make sure the existing agency has stopped running your Ads before you start otherwise there could be a conflict.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My question has been answered. Thanks a lot for the help! I'll be sure to be using the forums a lot more as I get further into Adwords.