AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I've a little problem you may be able to help me with.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all,

My friend has a small hotel business and is currently having his Adwords campaign run by a company. He pays £169 a month and that includes the cost of all clicks and their commission and they claim he's had over 129 clicks this month. (I'm not quite sure how they're even making a profit from him at that rate)

I have access to his analytics and though I can see the name of the company under "All Traffic" with 40 clicks for this month, I can't see anything from paid traffic. Now is this because they send traffic to him from their own AdWords account or one they set up for him? If so where should I be able to see that traffic in analytics.

I'm just confused because they show up as a traffic source but with far less clicks than they're claiming to provide and I can't see any other evidence of them sending traffic. 

They also create their own rather vague monthly reports and tend to bombard my friend with a lot of language he doesn't understand, they recently told him they're running 'MCC campaign' but I've no idea what this is and I'm concerned with the information I've seen they may not be being entirely honest.

So to cut a long story short, if I look in analytics but there is another Google account being used to run an Adwords campaign, where can I see evidence of this in the analytics I have access too?

Many thanks in advance and I hope that made sense.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard v
September 2015

Re: I've a little problem you may be able to help me with.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Richard.

What is the source and medium or their traffic? Do you see google/cpc there (under All Traffic, the first column)?

Do you also see something under AdWords / Campaigns? If you see google / cpc under All Traffic but nothing under Campaigns, or Ad Groups, or keywords, for that segment of the traffic, it may mean that the people running the AdWords account are using auto-tagging, clicks land on pages which have the gclid appended to the regular URLs, but Analytics is incapable of extracting information from AdWords in order to tell you what keywords triggered the ad and other AdWords-related information.

Now, moving to the "MCC Campaign", they're actually telling your friend that they're using their own "umbrella" account, a "My Client Center" account, to run his campaigns. There are also regular AdWords accounts, used by some businesses that run their own AdWords campaigns. Agencies, however, having to deal with a one agency - multiple clients relationship, need these account so they can use one log-in to administer several accounts.

And to conclude, this way of running an AdWords account (with a very limited transparency) is not something that most agencies do. Simply stating "you got X clicks" is not going to help your friend much, because he needs to see how people search for his hotel (matched search queries), which ads perform better and which do not perform, what ad positions are profitable and what ad positions are prohibitive for him and so on.

Hope I made sense and that it helps in some way.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Richard.

Go to Admin -> Property -> AdWords linking in Analytics and check if the Analytics account is linked with the AdWords account.

If they're not, you probably won't see much.

You might see a few things though, under All Traffic -> AdWords, if the ads' destination URLs are manually tagged.

I too remember doing an "off-account" AdWords audit, when I couldn't access the AdWords account but fortunately AdWords and Analytics were linked.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Many thanks Calin,

The 2 accounts are definitely not linked, what is odd though if I look under acquisition -> All Traffic they come in with 40 visits.

I wondered how they managed that. Also it seems odd that a company like that charge my friend exactly £169 a month and get him 129 clicks and still leave them money to profit with.

Have you ever heard of an MCC campaign which they keep telling him they're doing? I've not heard of it before.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard v
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Richard.

What is the source and medium or their traffic? Do you see google/cpc there (under All Traffic, the first column)?

Do you also see something under AdWords / Campaigns? If you see google / cpc under All Traffic but nothing under Campaigns, or Ad Groups, or keywords, for that segment of the traffic, it may mean that the people running the AdWords account are using auto-tagging, clicks land on pages which have the gclid appended to the regular URLs, but Analytics is incapable of extracting information from AdWords in order to tell you what keywords triggered the ad and other AdWords-related information.

Now, moving to the "MCC Campaign", they're actually telling your friend that they're using their own "umbrella" account, a "My Client Center" account, to run his campaigns. There are also regular AdWords accounts, used by some businesses that run their own AdWords campaigns. Agencies, however, having to deal with a one agency - multiple clients relationship, need these account so they can use one log-in to administer several accounts.

And to conclude, this way of running an AdWords account (with a very limited transparency) is not something that most agencies do. Simply stating "you got X clicks" is not going to help your friend much, because he needs to see how people search for his hotel (matched search queries), which ads perform better and which do not perform, what ad positions are profitable and what ad positions are prohibitive for him and so on.

Hope I made sense and that it helps in some way.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
That's great Calin, many thanks indeed.

The MCC bit makes sense now, all I could think of was a famous Cricket club!

Ok I've just had another look and under all traffic there is no 'Google/CPC' just 'company name (that my friend uses)/fixed fee'. Then when I click on campaigns it says 'xxxxx'. I click on that and again it says companyname/fixed fee'.

The thing is they told him he had 129 click this month but analytics shows 41 clicks since 22nd August so it doesn't sound like they're playing ball which is what I was thinking at the beginning as they're only charging £169 a month which includes the money to pay for the campaign.

The self made reports which only had 10 keywords they were using and their CTR isn't what I'd send a client that wanted a report each month.

Thanks again Calin you've been a great help to me.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I'm glad I was able to help, Richard.