1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I need to help how to find negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

People travel to Paris many reason and many countries. I need to run a adwords for private airport transfer service. The adword is working but some negative keywords like "bus", "train" and making unwanted clicks.

How i find negative keywords before run a ads ?

How I find which countries good for Target ?

Need your help

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ananda H
September 2015

Re: I need to help how to find negative keywords

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Good morning.

You've gotten some good advice here.  

I did want to add something about targeting.

In order to decide where to target your ads, you need to decide where your visitors are coming from. If you're targeting people in France who are visiting Paris, then you need to target the country of France.  If you're targeting people in the U.K. who are visiting Paris, they you'll want to target the U.K.

The important thing to remember is that people visiting a different place are going to use geo signals in their searches--that is, they will search for things like "airport transfer service Paris."  So make sure your keywords all use the word "Paris" in them (or the name or abbreviation for the Paris airport). That will limit your ads to showing for only people who are looking for your service in Paris.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Anada H

You need to "mine" for your negative keyword. There are several approaches. And utilizing all of them will give you a great start.

1) Look at your websites Analytics, as well as Google Webmaster Tools. GA will give you some terms ( even though Google Not Provided will not show many). Webmaster tools can give you terms in which people clicked through to your site. You may find some irrelevant terms there,

2) Brainstorm the terms you Know you don't want. In your example you mentioned.
Bus, so look for other terms that are similar to BUS that would also qualify as a negative for your campaigns, IE Bus, Buses, Car, Cars, Auto, Auto, Automobile,

3) Add keyword terms such as Free, Coupon, Review, Video, Ratings, etc that would not fit,

4) You can find a good starting list just by Googling "Negative keyword List". You will find a few sites that give some generic terms. But take those terms and expand or delete ones that don't apply.

5) Daily look at Analytic under acquisition, Adwords, Matched Search Query for terms that people clicked through to you campaign. BUT ALSO DAILY in Adwords in the Adgroup/ Keyword Run the Match Search Query Report to see keywords that caused impressions. Those that are irrelevant need to be added.

When you find a word. Enter it normally and not as a Phrase or Exact match. Say for example you see in things you run, the Phrase,
"How do I Find Bus ride for Greyhound Terminal"
You would probably add: Bus, Greyhound - to the negative list, You might not want to add terminal as that can be an airport as well. But since you see the word "Greyhound" you may want to find other BusLine Names from Google search to Add to your negative list,

The main thing, is start our with a good list from a Google Search, brainstorm, but be diligent daily to add new terms as they hit your account.

REMEMBER, Bad searched keywords that give impressions and not clicks should also be negative keywords, because it effects your CTR and eventually Quality Sores

Good Luck
Eric Gehler

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Ananda,

IMO, You need to from which country's people mostly coming to Paris. If i was doing that campaign then i will ad all major countries....Such as US, Canada, European Countries, India, Australia, Japan, China and All. You may save your money via deducting country list from from few countries like middle Africa.

For Negative keyword section I can suggest, Put Train and Bus combination. Analyze your campaign first. Also put the keywords which you think which are not relevant to your ad. Such as "Bus Transfer Paris Airport", With exact match option you will find benefits.

Learn from your competitors, Compile the ads their are running.
check this: https://www.google.fr/search?num=100&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=sb&...

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Follow up=
How I find which countries good for Target ?
I assume your service is in Paris, So you could have your setting as Geo targeting Paris with People Searching For or Interested in my Target Location.

Also from a Keyword Perspective, I would assume your would use Paris or airport names etc in the majority of your keywords as to target people wanting that service from that Location.

If you are looking for Country, You could do a search for the Airports, see what Air Lines service those Airports and then Where are the Most Flights Coming from on a Daily basis. Some Country would be daily, whereas other may not. I would stick to countries that are considered more affluent as there may be more travelers from those countries then others.

With any campaign, Start small, Find an area to work with, Get your keyword, ads, landing pages all in order, test find the good conversion points, Make sure you have an ROI, Then expand to other areas with the things that work. If you spread yourself to wide at the beginning, you may not have enough data to really find the best keywords, Ads etc within your budget. Start small, make money, expand to make more money.

Good Luck
Eric G

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ananda,

To follow on the advice you received. The way I find negative keywords in advance is by searching the service in the keyword planner and looking there for what keywords contain the words of my keyword +other words.

Also there are tools for keyword discovery :

http://www.semrush.com/

http://ubersuggest.org/

You can use them as well as for finding new "positive keywords" and "negative keywords"

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ananda H
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Good morning.

You've gotten some good advice here.  

I did want to add something about targeting.

In order to decide where to target your ads, you need to decide where your visitors are coming from. If you're targeting people in France who are visiting Paris, then you need to target the country of France.  If you're targeting people in the U.K. who are visiting Paris, they you'll want to target the U.K.

The important thing to remember is that people visiting a different place are going to use geo signals in their searches--that is, they will search for things like "airport transfer service Paris."  So make sure your keywords all use the word "Paris" in them (or the name or abbreviation for the Paris airport). That will limit your ads to showing for only people who are looking for your service in Paris.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much your kind reply...