AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I'm targetting zip code 10281, Lower Manhattan, NYC. It's not in the Google listing of Zipcodes

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

10281 is a several-year-old zip code that does NOT exist in the Google database.

I want to target that area. It is a business and residential area near the Civic Center. 

This is a large and important region of Manhattan.  Who do I contact to get Google to add this region to their inclusion database?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobbym880
March 2016

Re: I'm targetting zip code 10281, Lower Manhattan, NYC. It's not in the Google listing of Zipcodes

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
I target Manhattan quite frequently with ad campaigns. Accuracy can drop to as low as 60% based on a real-time foot survey I have access to. If you are targeting the Civic Center area (Broadway from Ann to Canal east to St James) target 10007 - which gets you Civic Center and the area over to West St. I would then add 10080 AND location target 2 mile around 10080 and exclude 10013.

View solution in original post

Re: I'm targetting zip code 10281, Lower Manhattan, NYC. It's not in the Google listing of Zipcodes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Have you considered trying 10282 - I'm not a New Yorker but after a quick glance at a map, it looks like it encompasses what you're trying to accomplish without targeting Manhattan on the whole.  

With targeting an area this size, it can be tricky.  User locations are not perfect.

10282.jpg

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobbym880
March 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
I target Manhattan quite frequently with ad campaigns. Accuracy can drop to as low as 60% based on a real-time foot survey I have access to. If you are targeting the Civic Center area (Broadway from Ann to Canal east to St James) target 10007 - which gets you Civic Center and the area over to West St. I would then add 10080 AND location target 2 mile around 10080 and exclude 10013.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Philip! Thanks for the workaround.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Local marketing to one of the most dense areas in the world is quite a challenge. Some zip codes simply aren't targetable. Google does not reveal EXACTLY how they target, but most targeting is IP Address based using maps they continually themselves plus data they license from third parties. There is no simple mapping to IP address to zip code - it all has to be calculated - and some areas are just too challenging. 10281 is one of those zip codes. Simple example - I have a friend who works for a well-know firm at 225 Liberty in the World Financial Center. Their IP addresses appear as New Jersey because that's where their data center is - and they rotate IP addresses constantly. They have no Internet connection EXCEPT via their NJ pipe. Google simple does not have access to enough information to properly map 10281 -- its not public information. And you are talking about one of the most sensitive zip codes in the nation.

Mobile phones even worse, especially in Manhattan. I see people all the time who are on the Upper West Side on their phones -- but show as being in Greenwich -- the non-technical answer is that this is how mobile devices work ("Network address translation") when utilized a mobile carrier vs WiFi.

The best solution to start is to target a more general area - for Manhattan, using the ZIP+area targeting - and writing ad copy that would attract the correct customers.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Philip:
Thank you for your post. That makes sense and I totally understand the logic and challenges in targeting a particular demographic.
However, as an AdWords customer who's spending big bucks on a daily basis, I'd like to have the choice as to whether or not I can target a particular zip code in one of the most important areas on the world. Bottom Line: It's a pathetic omission on Google's part that they haven't added a several-year-old zip code to their database. Whether that zip code's boundaries are difficult to ascertain/work with, or not, the customer should have the choice.