AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I'm not selling. I just want folks to watch my video.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not selling anything. I just want people to watch my video. (It's a political message: trying to save the world, one click at a time; you get the picture.) I've got a $10/day budget, and I seem to be getting enough clicks to spend that. But I'm paying $0.40 per click. I'd like to get that down to $0.20 or $0.10 per click. And virtually all my clicks are coming from the display network.It really doesn't matter to me where the clicks come from: my ad is specific enough that the clickers (is that a word?) know what they're headed for. I just want lots of clicks. Most of the AdWord statistics and advice is (understandably) for merchants, but it's confusing to this rookie. What should I emphasize? What should I avoid? What should I concentrate on? What should I ignore? But how do you bid for keywords in such a case? If I get enough clicks from cheap keywords, should I pause the bidding on expensive keywords? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I'm not selling. I just want folks to watch my video.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Bill since you mentioned that you don't have a targeted visitor then paying the less is your goal. While you pay less per viewer you are able to deliver your message to more people for less=saving the world quicker! lol
These are the different available bidding strategies in youtube.
1. In-search ads. This is like Google AdWords: you choose your keywords and bidding strategy, and pay when someone clicks on your video ad.

2. In-slate ads. These only show on videos that are more than 30 minutes long (TV shows, for example). Viewers can choose a video to watch before the programme begins (choosing from a number of videos, so there is an active choice here), or they can have ad breaks pushed to them through the film.

3. In-display ads. These appear alongside whatever you’re watching, down the right hand side of the screen. They don't just appear on YouTube, they appear anywhere on the Google network that takes video.

4. In-stream ads. These appear on a pre-roll to popular videos, and you only pay.if a viewer watches your ad for 30 seconds. If they take the ‘skip this video in 5 seconds’ option, you don’t pay.

As well as different formats, there are various different targeting methods for video ads on YouTube:

Search keywords. This is the same principle as using keywords on Google search. When someone searches for one of your keywords, your video ad will appear. But don’t forget, most people are searching for Justin Bieber, so the number of clicks on your ad are likely to be low. But it’s good if you have a very niche .product (or you’re Justin Bieber).

Contextual targeting. This works like the rest of the Google Display Network. Google matches your keywords with the most relevant videos to show viewers (this works particularly well with ‘in display’ ads, as people are likely to watch another relevant video).

Placements — using this method, you can choose where you want your ads to be shown. It can be hard to pick the right channel or video, as the turnover of popular videos on YouTube is so fast. If you can pick the videos most relevant to your brand, this can be very targeted.

Interest category targeting - Google builds a profile of users based on what web pages they visit regularly,... continued on page three so you can target them by interest.

Topics — this is pretty broad. You can choose from a list of topics that people are searching for, and if your video matches one of those topics, it will appear. It’s not hugely effective, but it’s simple to set up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Trevor. That's helpful, and just as basic as I need. It's all starting to make sense.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Great Bill also check into In-stream ads they might help you save some money and still brand your messages

Can I make Google figure out how to get me more clicks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not selling anything; I just want interested people to watch an informational video. I'm willing to pay $0.20/click on a $10/day budget. That's not enough to generate any relevant Search Network clicks for my topic, but it doesn't matter to me whether my clicks come from Search or Display. By thus underbidding Search, can I force Google to find enough Display clicks for me (ie, 50 clicks) so that Google can earn it's $10/day? 

Re: Can I make Google figure out how to get me more clicks?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

In your case Search network will work better than display network. Search network results are more relevant and easier to target. You only want to reach customers who are searching for your product or service. You don't want to waste any penny on a customer maybe interested or not interested in your service on the display network. You only want reach the right customers who are really interested in what you are providing and that defines Search network.

So to get the most of the limited budget on the Search network, you have to think about the following tips:

Use specific long tail keywords, like "Red Nike Shoes" rather than "Shoes".

Use Exact, Phrase and Broad modifed match type , Don't use Broad match type.

Use negative keywords.

Lower your bids can help you earn more clicks, but keep in mind lowering bids too much, however, could result in fewer clicks if your bids are no longer competitive.

Finally if you want let adwords to pay to you, you can use automatic bidding , for more info about limited budget campaigns and automatic bidding , please check the following URL:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375418?hl=en

Also, Have you considered using AdWords Video Campaigns?
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375425?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I appreciate the word of caution, but my ad is, "Why I boycott Israel." Everyone who sees it knows what they are getting into, and if they have a strong opinion one way or another, they'll ignore the ad. Those who click on the ad are curious to find out my reasons. The ad itself filters the people who click on it. I don't need to target the ad any better by limiting it to certain search terms. I not trying to covert my visitors to join my non-profit or buy my bumper sticker. I just want to have a minute to give them my point of view. So, again, . . . by limiting it to the Display network and telling Google I'm willing to pay only $0.20 per click (up to $10/day), won't Google work to find the Display sites that will get me the most clicks so that Google will get the most income from me?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I got your point now. Yes, you can use automatic bidding and set $0.20 as cpc bid limit then AdWords will help adjust your(CPC) bids automatically to receive the most possible clicks within your budget.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much, Ahmed!