AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I'm a new advertiser on Google AdWords, please help me.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Friends, 

The Community Managers bring before you a brand new initiative focused on helping new AdWords advertisers.
Background: Remember those days when you just started using AdWords, how you learnt the AdWords interface, how a simple feature took you so long to implement, how you took so long to find all those tabs? And, how you mastered all those advanced features now? Remember? Really? Awesome.
Now, let's help our friendly new advertisers walk through AdWords much much more easily than we did and help make their journey to a successful business very memorable. Are you ready? 

How: To kick-start the conversations, I will play the role of a new advertiser (Ms. Newbie) and simulate some issues. All you need to do is go ahead and help Ms. Newbie. Simple.
But wait.... since Ms. Newbie is a new advertiser, she'd prefer to learn just 1 step at a time! The first user (any of you) will add the 1st step. Just one step. Then, the next user (any of you) will post with the 2nd step. And then, the next user (any of you) will add the 3rd step and so on, until the issue is resolved. 

In simple words, we are trying to build issue resolution for a new advertiser, one step at a time, until the issue is resolved.

What's in it: Participants who post maximum number of times to help Ms. Newbie will receive some cool schwag and will be featured on the AdWords Blog. 

Excited to help Ms.Newbie? 
Let's see how it goes,
Mini, oops....Ms. Newbie Smiley Happy

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mini-CM
September 2015

Re: I'm a new advertiser on Google AdWords, please help me.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Miss Newbee Smiley Happy

Very first is to clear in your mind What is Google Adwords Advertising Plaform? How it Works? Benefits? Reach? Cost/Payment  etc.

To Know more I would suggest Newbee to go through 60 seconds Video and other info "Advertise Your Business On Google"

When I started few years back, I only came to know that "Google Adwords" to advertise Business & then i hunt started to get the answers of all above questions mentioned. Very first step for me Smiley Happy

Edit: Opps Mini I thought got to start with knowing about Adwords Smiley Happy I was probably writing & you posted!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Ms. Newbie:

I set up my first campaign with the default campaign settings. I created 1 ad with 4 keywords. Now I'd like to add 3 more ads. How do I do that? I can't find 'add ads' anywhere. 

Can you please help me friends? 

Thanks, 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mini-CM
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Miss Newbee Smiley Happy

Very first is to clear in your mind What is Google Adwords Advertising Plaform? How it Works? Benefits? Reach? Cost/Payment  etc.

To Know more I would suggest Newbee to go through 60 seconds Video and other info "Advertise Your Business On Google"

When I started few years back, I only came to know that "Google Adwords" to advertise Business & then i hunt started to get the answers of all above questions mentioned. Very first step for me Smiley Happy

Edit: Opps Mini I thought got to start with knowing about Adwords Smiley Happy I was probably writing & you posted!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Ms. Newbie:

Awesome video. It answered some of my basic questions I wouldn't have asked on an open community like this. Thank you Neha. Look, it didn't even occur to me that I need to first learn about AdWords before doing anything. 

I'm happy I posted on this Community and that I'm getting course correction right at the beginning. 

Ok, what should I do next?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

You should explore the follwing link. It will give you all the information needed so that you will explore the AdWords community in depth.

http://www.google.com/adwords/professionals/

George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Ms. Newbie:

Thanks gege for that link. 

I looked at it - it talks about certification. So, I'm going to keep it for a little later.  

Now, I'd like to work on getting my ads running on Google. 

What should I do next? 

So far, I have created 2 ads and added 3 keywords. But I'd like to add more keywords. How do I do it? What is the first step?

Please help me. 

Thanks,

Ms. Newbie

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ms. Newbie,

In order to construct good keyword lists, I would recommend that you do a little keyword research first.  You may have an idea of some great keywords to use in your advertising campaign but with a little research, you can expand upon this list and reach more of your prospective customers. I try to build my keyword lists in line with my individual products/services, product/service categories and/or website structure.

From each area of my website, I will try to outline 5 - 10 specific terms that identify my products or services. Once I have these starter lists, I will start using the tools available to me to further refine them.  A couple of tools you may want to look into are:

Google's Suggested Search (Autocomplete and Instant) - This is simply using your regular Google search page and start typing in your existing terms, products and/or services to see what the suggested search queries look like.  If there are any that are quite relevant to you, these terms should be looked at for addition to your account. 

Google AdWords Keyword Tool - This tool is great for helping develop keyword lists.  You can learn more about how this tool works here.  There is also an accompianlying video that you may enjoy.

Insights for Search is another great tool used to analyze search volume and trends.  This help article can show you some great examples of how to make use of this tool.

Some other points to keep in mind while conducting keyword research are:

Keep an eye out for Negative Keywords - These are terms that may be related to some of your keywords but are completely irrelevant to your products or services.  You'll want to note these terms in order to exclude them from your campaigns.

Explore varying Keyword Match Types - These match type variations help you to narrow or broaden the reach of your keywords.

Developing your keyword lists is one of the most important steps in creating a great AdWords account.  Don't be overwhelmed by all the information and suggestions, take your time and start slow.  You do not need to accomplish this overnight.  You're better off to take a little time and understand exactly what you are working on and why you are choosing the specific keywords for your campaigns. Also, don't feel like you need to nail down every keyword immediately.  It's often perfectly fine to start off with a few ad groups and after some time, review your account Search Terms Reports to identify new and well performing keywords to be added to your campaigns.

Finally, here are a few more resources for exploration:

How to build the best keyword list - Suggestions from Google on building keyword lists.

Building Keyword Lists - A Wiki Article by Pankaj, one of the Top Contributors here on the AdWords Community.

AdWords Keywords: 3 Steps for Success - A Wiki Article by Kim, another one of the Top Contributors here on the AdWords Community.

If you have any further or follow up questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Ms Newbie,

There are some default campaign settings that may want to take a look at.   These can all be found under the SETTINGS tab.

Networks - Google Search & Search Partners and Google Display Network.  They are very different networks, sometimes they are not both for every advertisers and if you want to be on both they should be handled differently in the way of ads, bids and targeting http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722050

Bidding - Auto or Manual or Optimized for Conversions.  Learn about different bidding options and decide what is best for you.  By default you are on Auto Bidding and this is not best for all advertisers http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375454

Delivery Options - Standard vs Accelerated - by default you will be on Standard Delivery which will stretch your budget over your scheduled day.  In other words if your budget is not adequate to meet the traffic then your ads may be served on and off throughout the day.  Learn more about delivery settings here. http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37672

As for adding those new ads...  You can go to the Ad Groups tab and locate the New Ad button to create a new ad.  It sounds like you have a rather small account but keep a healthy relevant account structure in mind which you add.  Create adgroups that around relevant between the keywords, ad text and landing page.  In other words, if you have multiple products create an adgroup for each one so if people are looking for women’s running shoes they see your ads all about women’s running shoes, show then men’s running shoes ads when they search for that by creating a men’s running shoes group with relevant keywords and ad copy.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello Ms Newbie,

After building a good keyword list as suggested by Tom, I would bifurcate them into tightly themed adgroups and test minimum two adcopies highly relevant to each adgroup with appropriate landing page.

Taking care of all important settings as mentioned by Kim, I would want you to learn about Ad Extensions. Ad Extensions can further help you in boost CTR and thus led you to good QS for you overall Campaign.

Let’s Discuss Some of the Important Ad Extensions:

Implementing Sitelink Extension (Fully Released)

To understand Sitelink extension ads I would like you to review the screen shot below:

Above adcopy is displaying additional pages links right below their ad beyond the main landing page. These additional site extensions in their ads have made them look different then all the competitors on Google. Obviously they will get much more clicks then their competitors and will have a good CTR. A good CTR would also help them lower their CPC in the long run.

In order to be eligible for Sitelink Extension Ads you will ads should rank in top 3 positions in Google. This would require a higher CPC at the start and a decent budget to support the increased CPC.

Implementing Location Extension Ads (Fully Released)

To understand Location Extension ads I would like you to review the screen shot below:

If you cater to a local audience it is advisable to show your location map & phone number with all the ads. This would help you boost your CTR as well. 

There are other useful Extensions, I want you to take a look and see if any of these can be profitable for your business.

Bid-Per-call 

Call Metrics 

Offer Extensions 

Seller Rating Extensions 

Product Extensions 

Multiple Addresses for Location Extensions

Hope this helps you in someway!

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager

Ms. Newbie:

Thanks Neha, Kim and Tom for those great suggestions.

I already started to feel like an experienced AdWords user now - thanks to all the wisdom you shared. 

I now have 4 campaigns with 10 ad groups each. Within each ad group I alomost have 10-14 keywords - all tightly themed. 

Next, I realized I'm only targeting "Search Network'. I'd like to try running on Search network too. 

What are some best practices to get started on the Disaply Network.

Again friends, I'm slow learner- so I'd prefer you all to guide me one-step-at-a-time. It's working great for me. 

Thanks again. 

Waiting to explore the Display world....

Ms. Newbie