AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I keep seeing only 7 AdWords ads on a page instead of 11, why ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I keep seeing only 4 ads on top and 3 ads below the organic results on google search pages, on high traffic local queries such as "implant dentar" (translated to "dental implant") , where usually there are over 35 competitors bidding in AdWords ( from my auction insights reports) .

Is google transitioning to only 7 ads on a page instead of 11?

Thank you

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I keep seeing only 7 AdWords ads on a page instead of 11, why ?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Adrian,

I don't know if any one else is aware of this but Google has confirmed that they are doing away with the Right Hand side ads on the SERP and that only the top & the bottom ads on the SERP will be available. I don't exactly know the maximum number of ads that will now be featured on the SERP but I am guessing since you searched repeatedly and found only 7 ads over time, 7 ads could be the limit.

This is a global update and will impact every market out there.

I hope this helps!

Cheers
Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
http://searchengineland.com/google-no-ads-right-side-of-desktop-search-results-242997
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
but still sometimes there are just 7 ads 4 top, 3 bottoms and sometimes the side ads are also available for the same location

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
@Archit - If you are talking about seeing Product Listing/Shopping Campaign Ads on the RHS then yes, you will see them there but as per the update, RHS Text ads are no more.

Cheers
Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No, I am talking regarding text ads only.

Reference from the preview tool:

side ads_censored.jpg

top and bottom ads_censored (1).jpg

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
@Archit - have you tried replicating the same results page while actually searching for the same Keywords on the Google Search? I just tried it and I could not spot any Text ads on the RHS. My best guess is that the update has not been translated/applied yet across all facets of the AdWords interface namely the Preview Tool. I am sure in a few days time, the tool will also replicate the same 4 ads on top, 3 ads on bottom and no RHS ads results like the SERP.

Hope this solves your query.

Shashank
Cheers,

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Will the reduction of ad spots from 11 to 7 impact on the avg. cpc. , by increasing it due to the same competitors bidding for less spots ?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Archit@ShashankSingh

Read Google's official reply to the article I linked. It's all there;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
@Adrian B

You are absolutely right. I had the same conversation with my colleagues and all of us concur that this update is going affect our Avg. CPC's due to increase competition. We just need to monitor our accounts daily and inform our clients in advance about how this update affects our accounts.

One thing we all need to consider is that, this update could do wonders for the PLA/Shopping campaign accounts as the update says that PLA ads will be featured on the RHS and I predict the RHS section of the SERP being filled with these ads. In a way, this update reduces ad spots for Text ads and increases them for PLA/shopping ads.

We will have wait and see how things change for our accounts.

Cheers
Shashank
Cheers,