AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I have a shopping cart website and content owners want me to put their tracking pixels on it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website that sells books, books written by anyone. Let's say I have the newest Harry Potter book in and JK Rowling is doing some advertising on various websites. JK Rowling will approach me and ask me to put her conversion code on it the purchase confirmation page.

I'm concerned about:

What information will be passed on.

Whether they'll be able to see information about other books being purchased.

I could potentially make the code only get published when someone buys the Harry Potter book but what about if they purchase 2 books at the same time?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lewis U
December 2016

I have a shopping cart website and content owners want me to put their tracking pixels on it

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Lewis,

Your business model is unusual and not suited to how conversion tracking usually works.

The data sent by conversion code can vary. For AdWords code, it can restricted to just the fact a conversion occurred, and the URL where it occurred. The dollar value can be included as well. AdWords reports on the ads and the searcher, not the final destination.

For two purchases in the same transaction, AdWords will report them as one conversion, however the dollar amount will be meaningful.

If someone follows a Harry Potter ad to your site, but buys a boom from a different author, JK Rowling would see the conversion, and the other author would not. You could only fix this by having a separate website and checkout for each author. 

And I have to ask, if the authors are paying for their own advertising, how do they benefit sending traffic to your site rather than building their own, or linking directly to Amazon?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response - it's not actually a book selling website but it was an analogy I thought up to simplify it.  In my case it would be prohibitively expensive for them to make their own website and their isn't an "Amazon" of our industry.

Lewis