6.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I have 2 domain names pointing to same website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a abc.com domain and a efg.gov domain that are the same.  Currently I have a GA account for abc.com.  I also want to account for .gov trafic    ... how do I do that ... should i create a new account and have two _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-?????'] or what

thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I have 2 domain names pointing to same website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi gadoi,

Although, your question is purely related to Google Analytics and not Google Adwords, but to address that to some extent, it seems you are talking about mirror sites here. From Adwords point of view, it is strictly prohibited.

From Google Analytics perspective, if the web pages are different i.e. internal pages are different with separate domains like ab.com/first.html and efg.gov/second.html etc..., then you can create 2 different accounts for Google Analytics and track them.

But honestly, mirror sites are not preferred over search engines and Google also discourage that. See this for details.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a single website with 2 diffrent domains attached to it... same website.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi gadoi,

You can add the whole block of code, not just the " _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-?????']",

When you have two domains pointing to the same web site, you could get hit with a duplicate content penalty in both AdWords and in Google organic search on both sites. When you do this, it's best to determine which is the "official" version and which is the "mirror". Then use the canonical link tag so all pages point to the same site as the authoritative source. It will look something like this:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com/index.html">

It goes in the head section of the document.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

wow - pete - thank you!!

take care