AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I can't understand why Adwords opportunities will increase my impressions/clicks

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all. In my adwords account, it says there are opportunities to add more keywords that will increase my impressions and clicks. What baffles me is that I already have these suggested new keyword opportunities already covered by my existing broad match modifer keywords for the same bid. For example:

My existing campaign has the keyword for +german +online for a bid of $1.00 US.

Now, under the Opportunities tab of Adwords, it will say that I can add a bunch of keywords already covered by +german +online for the same bid of $1.00 US and my clicks and impressions in my campaign will increase. For example, adding the following keywords will increase my impressions and clicks:

study german online
german online course

Why should adding the keywords "study german online" and "german online course" for a bid of $1.00 US lead to an increase in impressions and clicks in my campaign? I thought I already have "study german online" and "german online course" covered with the broad match modifier +german +online at the same bid of $1.00 US.

Either there is something broken with the Adwords Opportunities engine or I misunderstand how Adwords works.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
December 2016

Re: I can't understand why Adwords opportunities will increase my impressions/clicks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Gadwin G;

Edwards is a matching algorithm between a keyword and a query. Generally speaking (with many exceptions) the most restricted keyword wins. Many confuse with Boolean operator:: "study german online" is not a partial group of +german +online.

A typical scenario in which  +german +online would be matched to a query, would be if you bid on this keyword much  higher than on "study german online". However, this is NOT a typical strategy advertisers would follow. Advertisers typically bid the lowest on broad match

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

I can't understand why Adwords opportunities will increase my impressions/clicks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

When Adwords makes these suggestions for me I take a look at them, but I don't put too much consideration towards them. I also get duplicates of keywords I already have, but Google suggests me to put them into different adgroups. I use these suggestions to look for keywords that I don't have, then I decide where they will fit in best. 

Don't worry about these too much, just use your best judgment and check these periodically because there can be useful keywords in them. 

However, having BMM and Exact versions of keywords can be very useful, which is how I divide my campaigns.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
December 2016

Re: I can't understand why Adwords opportunities will increase my impressions/clicks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Gadwin G;

Edwards is a matching algorithm between a keyword and a query. Generally speaking (with many exceptions) the most restricted keyword wins. Many confuse with Boolean operator:: "study german online" is not a partial group of +german +online.

A typical scenario in which  +german +online would be matched to a query, would be if you bid on this keyword much  higher than on "study german online". However, this is NOT a typical strategy advertisers would follow. Advertisers typically bid the lowest on broad match

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for our reply MosheTLV.  I have two questions about what you wrote:

1) "study german online" is not a partial group of +german +online

I would think that the broad match modifier +german +online would enter into the auction if the user typed "study german online" as their search phrase?  At least, that's what the definition of broad match modifier implies at 

2) Your answer seems to imply that if the user searches for "study german online", when I bid for +german +online at $1.00 US, Google will show my ad less than if I entered the broad match "study german online" at $1.00 US.  Is this correct?  If this is correct, then this is a radical change in strategy for me - it seems like I would be better off listing every combination for "german" and "online" as a broad match keyword, instead of relying on +german +online.  For example, if what you say is true, I would get lower CPC and more impressions if I entered the following broad match keywords for a bid of $1.00 US each:

study german online

learn german online

rather than just relying on +german +online at a bid of $1.00 US.  Is this correct?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Gadwin G

1. No.  Assuming  the same bid and same QS - the more restrictive match type wins (see below)

2. Only if you bid high enough and have a high QS for the broad KW resulting in highest ad-rank to win the auction.

The algorithm of which keyword  is matched to a search query is a complex with many exceptions;

Start with this article;

How similar keywords match to search terms

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

On another front I echo @Dean E with his comments about "opportunities"

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Gadwin G, @Dean E

To follow the @MosheTLV reply. Google suggest to create a different Ad Group for the below keywords.

+study +german +online, +learn +german +online, +german +online +course

I would not say that only follow the Google suggestion, we need to be more smart.

1.) Add "study", learn, course" as -ve in main ad group (+german +online)

2.)  Write relevant add of others new ad group and highlight, "Study, Learn & Course in respective ad groups.

3.) In this way you increase CTR and Quality score of keywords.

4.) if new keyword +study +german +online gives you conversions at lower CPA, you can increase more Bid. So that you can get more conversion. If not add new keywords, you will increase the bids in main ad group "+german+online". that will bring additional irrelevant search terms.

Thus the creating the keywords expansion is always fruitful in the account.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Rakesh.  So using a new Ad group, you suggest that the Ad I write contains the keywords "study", "learn", and "course" in the copy of the Ad so that I can raise my quality score, right?

Also, in 1), you mention "Add 'study', learn, course' as -ve...".  I'm a bit new to Adwords abbreviations.  May I ask what does -ve mean?  

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Thanks Rakesh.  So using a new Ad group, you suggest that the Ad I write contains the keywords "study", "learn", and "course" in the copy of the Ad so that I can raise my quality score, right?

Yes it helps to boost CTR and quality score.

you mention "Add 'study', learn, course' as -ve...".  I'm a bit new to Adwords abbreviations.  May I ask what does -ve mean?  

Yes, it means add the negative match type keywords in the original or main ad group.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for your explanation Raskesh!