AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

I can't change age and gender targeting in my campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up a conversion based campaign & am tying to understand the display network set up. My campaign is set up as Search network with display select - all features.

When I select 'all campaigns' and go to the 'display network' tab I am able to see age, gender and parent tabs. Google seems to have allocated age ranges, genders and parental status' to my ad groups.  

How are these determined? When I click into the ages tab - they aren't the ages that i want to target (eg 65+ has been assigned to my tanning lotion adgroup - they are definitely not my target group).  The same with gender - male has been assigned. 

When I click the  +targeting button, and select an adgroup to add age targeting to, the only options I am given are placements and interests & remarketing. The same happens in the gender and parental status tab.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: I can't change age and gender targeting in my campaign

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Interest category, gender, age, parental status, and topic targeting are unavailable features for the search network with display select campaign.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elizabeth W
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Your campaign is opted in the search and display network not in the search network with display select as you mentioned before. Once your campaign is upgraded, genders will be no longer available Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Interest category, gender, age, parental status, and topic targeting are unavailable features for the search network with display select campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Ahmed.

When I look into google support it tells me that all display features are available when 'all features' is selected.

see this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580282?hl=en

It seems to have assigned genders & ages to my display advertising anyway?  So how can this feature not be available if it has been assigned to my adgroup keywords?

Thanks for your help.

Capture.PNG

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Elizabeth,

The link says that demographic is available for "Search & Display Networks - All features" not "Search network with display select - all features".

Search & Display Networks campaign has retired today (16/9) and it's no longer available.

If your campaign is Search & Display Networks campaign, today it will be updated automatically to Search network with display select.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ahmed.

Can you please help me understand why I can see genders allocated to my keywords (as per the screen shot I sent through in my prior message?

Or will this also be changing with the change that is taking place today.

Thank you
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elizabeth W
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Your campaign is opted in the search and display network not in the search network with display select as you mentioned before. Once your campaign is upgraded, genders will be no longer available Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
ok, finding that response little confusing. But will take from this that I cannot do demographic targeting anyway.

Cheers

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Of course, you can do demographic targeting by creating a"Display Network only" campaign.
You will need to break your campaign (search network with display select) into 2 campaigns one for "search network only" campaign and one for "display network only "campaign.