3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Hyphenation words

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to create more words.  The "correct" spelling of a product as a hyphen in the word.  Example L-Series.  Will Google see this as a 1 word or a 2 word with no hyphen or a 2 word with Hyphen in the word?

Thank you

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Hyphenation words

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Katie, and welcome to the forum.  I'm happy to be corrected but I believe Google is "aware" of hyphens, i.e. it'll match with or without.  With something like that though you want to make sure you don't trigger Ads just against the letter "L"!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Indeed, as Jon pointed out, keywords are stored in the form you enter them, but periods and dashes are ignored when matching search terms to your keywords.

Here's the document explaining it: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453980?hl=en

In your case make sure the keyword you use has the correct match type (phrase or exact), meaning that your keyword will have to be entered as "l-series" or [l-series] (letter case does not matter).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello All,

I seem to be struggling to grasp this still. Do hyphens matter for phrase and exact match? An example might help:

Keywords:
"12345-X"
"12345X"

As you can see, they are phrase match types. My data shows that the hyphenated version works better than the other. So should I still utilize both versions?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Todd B the answer is really in your data.  You say the hyphenated version works better, but the more important question is whether the non-hyphenated version meets your performance goals.  If the non-hyphenated version still meets your goals, that it doesn't do as well as the hyphenated version may be irrelevant.

The only question you also have to ask is why the hyphenated version performs better.  Is its Quality Score higher, are the searches more relevant when the hyphen is included, is there another product that has the same number without the hyphen?  Looking at your search query data may give you some clues and help you decide whether to keep this version or not.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new question related to this topic, please start a new thread.

Thanks!