AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Huge discrepancy between Keyword Planner and actual campaign.

A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example, if I research the keywords HOSTING and WEB HOSTING, with a bid of $0.12 and daily budget of $10, the planner says I can expect approx. 24,000 impressions with 140 clicks.

But when I try to launch a campaign with these parameters, the actual bid required is around $7.25!! So basically I would get only 1 or 2 clicks at my budget, not 140. Why this HUGE discrepancy? I talked on the phone with two different Google techs and neither could explain this. So I am either doing something wrong or the traffic estimator/keyword planner is so far off that it is a useless tool.

Hopefully someone can explain this to me! Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Huge discrepancy between Keyword Planner and actual campaign.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello there;
The keyword planner 's CPC data refers only to the "exact match" type; while the "old" keyword tool included also the "broad match" . This the main reason to the discrepancies. (The other is re-mapping the geographic areas Google included in the statistics).
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. Not sure I fully understand, so let me ask an alternate question:

What tools or settings should I use in order to research keywords and get *reasonably accurate* traffic and CPC estimates?

The Keyword Planner is so way off that I find it completely and utterly useless for the task.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;
Are you using by a chance the traffic estimator (and not the "raw data")?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I go to Tools and Analysis --> Traffic Estimator and that takes me to the Keyword Planner.

I then choose Enter or upload Keywords to see how they perform

How do I access raw data instead?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

....then pick the second item; upload keywords.  Then (after entering/ uploading  keywords) click on "get historical data."  to see the keywords raw data

The traffic estimator is a statistical estimate based on your account / campaign past performances.  It has its (huge) margin of error that Google does not report. In statistics,  I don't like to use tools that do not report the error...

-Moshe