AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Huge discrepancy between Keyword Planner and actual campaign.

A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example, if I research the keywords HOSTING and WEB HOSTING, with a bid of $0.12 and daily budget of $10, the planner says I can expect approx. 24,000 impressions with 140 clicks.

But when I try to launch a campaign with these parameters, the actual bid required is around $7.25!! So basically I would get only 1 or 2 clicks at my budget, not 140. Why this HUGE discrepancy? I talked on the phone with two different Google techs and neither could explain this. So I am either doing something wrong or the traffic estimator/keyword planner is so far off that it is a useless tool.

Hopefully someone can explain this to me! Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Huge discrepancy between Keyword Planner and actual campaign.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello there;
The keyword planner 's CPC data refers only to the "exact match" type; while the "old" keyword tool included also the "broad match" . This the main reason to the discrepancies. (The other is re-mapping the geographic areas Google included in the statistics).
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. Not sure I fully understand, so let me ask an alternate question:

What tools or settings should I use in order to research keywords and get *reasonably accurate* traffic and CPC estimates?

The Keyword Planner is so way off that I find it completely and utterly useless for the task.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;
Are you using by a chance the traffic estimator (and not the "raw data")?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I go to Tools and Analysis --> Traffic Estimator and that takes me to the Keyword Planner.

I then choose Enter or upload Keywords to see how they perform

How do I access raw data instead?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

....then pick the second item; upload keywords.  Then (after entering/ uploading  keywords) click on "get historical data."  to see the keywords raw data

The traffic estimator is a statistical estimate based on your account / campaign past performances.  It has its (huge) margin of error that Google does not report. In statistics,  I don't like to use tools that do not report the error...

-Moshe