AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How would target average position?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I really want to get my avg position to around a specific number for all my keywords.

The idea is I would always like to be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th but not first or 5th or more.

Is there a simple way to do this?

To accomplish this, the average position should be around 1.5 or so, right?

Tell me if I'm out of my mind.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How would target average position?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ryan B,

If I don't want to show up my ads on 1st position I prefer to stay between 2-3 position. If the keywords having position better then 2 I reduce bid by some %. I start usually from 5%-10%. You need to reduce bids and then see position if you still not getting desired position, you need to reduce bids even more.

That's the way I make adjustment to get desired position. Alternatively, we have Automated Rules option in AdWords Interface - You can set automated rule to make bid adjustment as per average position. Please see the screenshot below:

Campaign Management 2014-03-30 10-41-26.png

Read more about automated rules here. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ryan,

To build on the great answer from Neha :

I use pairs of automated rules for this, one rule to lower bids by 3% and another to raise bids by 3% in order to obtain small adjustments of 2-3 cents. I would recommend also a cap on the max cpc bid , just in case you don't want to bid for example over 2$.

I also use in the automated rule condition requirements for at least 5 impressions because the avg pos from a single impression is not very relevant and in an account with hundreds of long tail keywords each gets only a small amount of daily impressions.

I also use at requirements a condition that status is not "below first page bid" and "QS>5" to avoid raising the bid for keywords which I keep in "stand by" to be improved by Ad text testing.

You can also let these rules to run on all enabled keywords in the account.

Regarding the frequency I create pairs of such rules for every 2 hours from the schedule, but not for the first 4 hours, when I do not expect much traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Adrian, thanks for the reply. Would I do this under automation? Can you give a bit more detail on the procedure?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How do I run it every 2 hours? I see only the option for daily.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Create a rule for every 2 hours is the only way. Unfortunately you cannot repeat the same rule during the day.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So I set all my rules to play around with it today. I set a rule daily at 10am, 11am and 12 am.
None of the rules ran.
They are all enabled though.
I got no email and they aren't showing in the log. Do 'daily' rules start the next day?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
You have a preview button at the bottom of the Rule Setup Window, to see what changes it would make if it ran right now. I would advise using the Data Range : "Use data from : Same day".
You can also set them to send no email if you are used to check the logs.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Just a a quick word of warning - average position is precisely that - and average... you should probably take a look at your keywords and segment them based on top vs other just to give you an overview.... here's why...

Let's say you have 100 keywords - the average position might be 5.

But the clicks you are getting are from a select group of keywords which have average positions of 3 and 4 - but then you have a bunch of poorly performing keywords running at 7, 8 & 9... you get the picture...

You should perhaps look to separate out your top performers and put them into their own ad groups for tighter control.

To be brutally honest, running any kind of automated rules to set the average positions on a large group of keywords becomes a fruitless exercise, what you might do is increase the positions of your worst keywords from, say, 9 to 6 - which could improve the average significantly without having any real impact on those keywords you are truly interested in.