AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to use negative keyword in case of lawyer?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a Lawyer's account and I created an Adgroup - Workers Compensation Lawyer. And from the search terms report i saw searches like - workers compensation law, workers compensation laws. Is there a way to use the word LAW as a negative keyword; Because i have keywords in the Adgroup (workers compensation law firm, workers compensation law firms).

Thanks in Advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vishal Joseph
September 2015

Re: How to use negative keyword in case of lawyer?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Vishal,

Unfortunately not. Using Law (except as an exact match) will block the "law firm" keywords. The best option that comes to mind is to make an actual "Law" ad group and put all law related keywords there and then use law as a negative in the other ad groups.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vishal,

You wouldn't want to add law as broad or phrase because it could block the keywords you mentioned. Adding it as exact probably wouldn't block anything. What you can do is add exact match negatives of the keyword you mentioned above so that those exact variations won't show. You'll have to be diligent in continually adding negatives, though, because it won't block any variants.

Searchers that are looking for information about the law may be trying to see if they have a case, though, so they may actually be relevant. Just a thought!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Vishal,

So As per your Initial post, You have keywords in phrase match "workers compensation law firms", "workers compensation law firm" and in search term report search queries are workers compensation law, workers compensation laws? According to me if you are using phrase match these should not trigger even when phrase match triggers for phrase match close variants (not 100% sure since exact and phrase match close variants is compulsion). You may be having keywords in broad match too. You can add column keywords in your search term report and see which keyword in particular is triggering which query to understand better.

As @Clynton M mentioned, I would use BMM to bring more relevant traffic and would also add primary important keywords in exact match. When you use BMM, any term with plus sign is must in user search to trigger add. So if you add keyword +workers +compensation +law +firm - Ad will be trigger if user has all these terms in search query in any order. This can help you in some extent to avoid law related terms such as worker compensation law.

Apart from this you can add keywords in exact match negative such as [worker compensation law] [workers compensation law] [workers compensation laws] [workers compensation law] etc But this requires manual work and will take time too. If you adopting this solution, remember you need to add singular, plurals and other variations too because negative keywords doesn't work for close variants.

I usually prefer to create separate adgroup for lawyer, law firms and use negative keywords across adgroups.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Vishal,

Unfortunately not. Using Law (except as an exact match) will block the "law firm" keywords. The best option that comes to mind is to make an actual "Law" ad group and put all law related keywords there and then use law as a negative in the other ad groups.

Hope this helps
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vishal,

You wouldn't want to add law as broad or phrase because it could block the keywords you mentioned. Adding it as exact probably wouldn't block anything. What you can do is add exact match negatives of the keyword you mentioned above so that those exact variations won't show. You'll have to be diligent in continually adding negatives, though, because it won't block any variants.

Searchers that are looking for information about the law may be trying to see if they have a case, though, so they may actually be relevant. Just a thought!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply. But Apart from creating a new Adgroup is there any other way using match types.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Vishal,

Just a quick question, which match type are you using for positive keywords?

Thanks

Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm using phrase Match for all the keywords. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vishal,

You could use modified broad to help resolve the issue, this would make certain root keywords a requirement for matching to a users search query without restricting the broad match too much.

Learn more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope this helps
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Vishal,

So As per your Initial post, You have keywords in phrase match "workers compensation law firms", "workers compensation law firm" and in search term report search queries are workers compensation law, workers compensation laws? According to me if you are using phrase match these should not trigger even when phrase match triggers for phrase match close variants (not 100% sure since exact and phrase match close variants is compulsion). You may be having keywords in broad match too. You can add column keywords in your search term report and see which keyword in particular is triggering which query to understand better.

As @Clynton M mentioned, I would use BMM to bring more relevant traffic and would also add primary important keywords in exact match. When you use BMM, any term with plus sign is must in user search to trigger add. So if you add keyword +workers +compensation +law +firm - Ad will be trigger if user has all these terms in search query in any order. This can help you in some extent to avoid law related terms such as worker compensation law.

Apart from this you can add keywords in exact match negative such as [worker compensation law] [workers compensation law] [workers compensation laws] [workers compensation law] etc But this requires manual work and will take time too. If you adopting this solution, remember you need to add singular, plurals and other variations too because negative keywords doesn't work for close variants.

I usually prefer to create separate adgroup for lawyer, law firms and use negative keywords across adgroups.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That was of Great help. Thank you every1.