AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to transfer keywords from adwords express to regular adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I look at my adwords express campaign I can tell that I have about 1,000 different keyword search combinations to choose from. I would like to take about half of those and use them in my advanced adwords campaign. I practice criminal law, and about half of the suggested adwords for criminal law are "corporate lawyer" "family lawyer" "general practitioner" and etc. 

I tried adding keywords from special lists inside the advanced adwords account but they are clearly different and only a fraction of the number of the keywords shown to me in the adwords express keyword searches. Any idea how to copy without having to copy and paste each phrase?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to transfer keywords from adwords express to regular adwords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi William,

Although it's been quite some time since I converted an Express account over to a regular AdWords account, perhaps I have some suggestions that may help.

The beauty of the full AdWords suite is that you will have complete control over which keywords you can select, matching those keywords to specific and relevant ad copies which direct users to a very specific landing page on your website. You'll also get to include a number of additional features to your ads in the form of ad extensions.

In the early stages, which it would seem that you are in right now, you want to focus your efforts on defining tightly themed groups of keywords which we call ad groups. For instance, taking your example keywords, I would likely be setting up separate ad groups for each of the terms you have listed. Corporate Lawyer, Family Lawyer and General Practitioner (this really screams Doctor to me) IMO are all very different, would also likely target different audiences, through different keywords and need to direct those specific audiences to various different places on your website.

So, how can you go about this...you can start with Google's keyword planner. If you're in the AdWords interface, you can access it from the tools menu.  Here you can plug in some seed keywords, your website and target locations and let Google do the expansion of terms for you.  This tool allows you to create a plan by mixing and matching the keyword and ad group suggestions provided and then through a couple of clicks, apply them to your account.

The structure of your account is the foundation from which you will continue to build.  One common way to go about structuring your account is to mirror the structure of your website.  If you have separate sections or pages on your site about common criminal cases you work on, you'd want to direct users to those pages when and only when they're looking for those specific services.  Your corresponding ad copy would also drive the message home about what you offer.

I could go on and on about what to consider as you progress here but I'll save you from that. Feedback here is your friend, the more you can share the better suited folks here are to try and help you.  Keep asking questions, it may take some time to figure things out, but you're in great hands here.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
William

As always @PCCBossman has give sage advice.

One thing to consider when selecting your keyword choices, beyond the structure Tommy mentions, is to look at your older data to see what converts.

With "Criminal Law" the CPC's are usually pretty high and the competition is pretty good. make sure you have landing pages that convert. Make sure you use all the available Ad extensions. Make sure you actively choose Negative keywords as well as the best keywords. Be conscientious of Match Types and be diligent looking at keyword search reports in both analytics and adwords for negative keywords. Data diving is your friend and one of the most important aspects of any Campaign. Lastly make sure your ad copy corresponds to the keyword groups and landing pages.

If you have Google Analytics properly installed and goals set-up, you should be able to see what keywords have provided the best results.

The main thing I suggest with Criminal Law, is to start slow, understand what it is you are doing then and how you are measuring the results. It's better to stat smaller and gain the understanding then Throw 100's of terms up at High CPC's and spend tons on stuff that doesn't convert. Always think ROI.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
William

I have similar requirement like yours. Adwords express is showing close to 1500 keywords and I want to copy the keywords to my regular adwords campaign. Looks like there is no way out other than writing some programs using Adwords API toolkit. Adwords API does expose the Adword keywords. I have asked my guys to look into it and see what is possible. Just in case, you have access to programming support, here is the link:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/v201409/AdGroupCriterionService.Keyword

There must be a simpler way to do it without writing any code. Still looking. If I find something, I will update here.