2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to test geotargeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any way to chart how adwords 'sees' geography.

Campaign A covers a region.

Campaign B covers the same region, but excludes all cities over 4000 population, leaving rural and small towns.

I have tried this, and so far Campaign B is getting no impressions, leading me to think that cities actually includes rural surroundings:  E.g. Anything that has a postal address of Rurul Route 3, Spruce Grove is going to be considered as spruce grove by Adwords.

This is borne out in targeting, that you can target in Canada only by FSA codes (the first three characters of our postal code.  Even there, Adwords mapping is suspect. If I plot FSA codes I find that they don't match up in places, overlap in places, and in some cases valid codes don't plot at all. (E.g. T0H, rural codes for north western Alberta.

I'd like to see a map of my province, as Adwords sees it:  That is: a map where each distinguishable unit is plotted as a single point, and labeled with the number of people in it.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to test geotargeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sherwoods,

I believe you are looking for the Locations Advanced Search.

If you go into your campaign settings, click settings, then select advanced. This will take you to a map feature as AdWords see it.

Also, check to see if Campaign B's keywords are showing, as if the same keywords are used in both campaigns they may not show.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Part of the problem is also in how Google is able to identify a person's location. Many people in rural areas actually feed of an internet hub in a nearby city.

Here is Spain - if I connect in my office I am more or less correctly located as being here in the south of the country. If I connect at home - literally 4 miles away - I am located by Google as being in Zaragoza - about 900km away.

There are lots of "clues" Google looks for, but rural users in particular are the hardest to accurately locate.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sherwoods,

I agree with Steve on this one. Google uses a number of signals to determining location, IP address is probably the most used. The IP address location is based on the location of the ISP, and there are just not a lot of ISP's located in cities with under 4000 population.

Oh, one other thing, the mailing address is not one of the signals used by Google do determine location. In most cases, unless the user is signed into his Google account and has provided a mailing address, Google has no way to determine the mailing address.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Google uses your IP address to identify you. Your ISP has a location mapped to your IP address. So when you open up the Google search page, Google only knows where your ISP tells them you are. Sometimes, the ISP is lazy and just maps all their IP addresses to the headquarters of the company, or the location of the server. Right now, mapmyip.com shows me being located about 3 miles from my house because that's where my phone company's closest server building is.

Somebody on a rural farm probably does not have a phone/cable company building within five or even 25 miles... They are literally at the end of the line. All those rural residents may look to Google to be located wherever the nearest telecom building is, probably in town.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So the answer is that Geographical locations for rural addresses doesn't work.

And demographics tagging for Canada doesn't work.

And postal zone tagging doesn't work at a fine grained level. (You cannot distinguish between suburbs and core, between SDD and apartments.

I'm beginning to understand why I can bid 25 cents and get a 70% impression share.