AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to target rural customers

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I sell trees.  One market is the rural customer -- farmer or acreage owner.  Is Google's targeting fine enough grained to handle this?

Would it work to target the entire province of Alberta, then exclude Calgary, Edmonton, Red deer, town by town to the limit of Google's resolution?

Is the demographic targeting accurate.  Is there a way to SEE what google thinks of as a map of the top 10% of Alberta's people?

In many cases rural customers have a very different set of ISPs than city folk.  Is there any way to target by ISP?  

Additinional tidbit just discovered.  In Canada the rural postal codes in a province all have a second digit of 0.  So in principal I can add all the T0[A-Z].  How good is the postal mapping?

Other ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sherwoods F
September 2015

Re: How to target rural customers

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Because I'm trying to avoid the city customers.  Looking at the detail search reports I get people clicking on my ads with the weirdest search terms.  At least half the clicks are totally irrelevant even by google broad match standards.  Keyword "Tree farm Stony Plain"  and I get hits for Stony Plain STD clinic.  Really.

One way is to target the non-city customers. 

The other is to narrow down the broad matching. 

I'm working on a test campaign where I excluded the cities from the province.  One of the things I'll find out is how accurate Google's "inside/outside" algorithm is.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

In Canada you should be able to target by province, city and teritory;

How accurate the targeting is? This depends on the telecom infrastructure. The more modern and advanced  - the more accurate. If this is a the 80-90s "aging" technology, then keep in mind, that it is not perfect.

You might want to consider targeting by intent (i.e. Adding the location name as part of the keyword)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have tried that using a list of every town and county name within the region of interest, multiplied by my keyword list. This creates an unwieldy large keyword list (thousands) This has LOWER performance than a regional radius ad. Almost all of the resulting keywords have status "Restricted by targeting", and while they get impressions, they get few clicks.

Adwords has a lower limit on the size of town you can target. For example, for my farm targeting, I cannot target based on my nearest town, (Warburg, Alberta) but have to plunk down a lat/long marker.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Regarding rural locations that begin with second digit of 0. This one is a a bit of a trap. A T0 postal code is assigned to a municipality that is a village or hamlet, but not a town. Towns get a T {1-9) code. This includes acreages and farms within a reasonable radius.

So, for example Stony Plain, Alberta's postal code zone T7Z includes 5 rural routes that are prime customers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Another possibility is to describe a large area and exclude just the cities inside.  Don't know if Adwords has this degree of precision.  Anyone?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Ok; Got it; I agree.Having an endless list of locations within the KWs is not a recommended practice
Why won't you then target the whole teritory of Alberta?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sherwoods F
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Because I'm trying to avoid the city customers.  Looking at the detail search reports I get people clicking on my ads with the weirdest search terms.  At least half the clicks are totally irrelevant even by google broad match standards.  Keyword "Tree farm Stony Plain"  and I get hits for Stony Plain STD clinic.  Really.

One way is to target the non-city customers. 

The other is to narrow down the broad matching. 

I'm working on a test campaign where I excluded the cities from the province.  One of the things I'll find out is how accurate Google's "inside/outside" algorithm is.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Agree. This is the method to do that. As for accuracy, as said, this is not perfect, however my view, this would be your best  targeting method, under the constraints  you are facing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Another thought. Do many rural customers use satellite for internet access? I would try to find out where the IP address is located for the satellite users. I have one customer who Google thinks is in a city 500 miles away, because of where his ISP is located.

Also, what about targetting a city with very precise exact match as a short-term test.? I would bet some customers are "weekend farmers" who live and work in the city, but have a rural property somewhere.