AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to target a web directory per category?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All.  Looking to advertise on directory of Joomla Ext.  Want JUST to use this one site.  extensions.joomla.org

So added an add, and the spec the placement with just this one URL, with zero keywords and it worked fine, everything showed up.  But I want to better target the adds per directory category.  So take ecommerce.  Which shows up via this http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/e-commerce.

1. Tried to add a keyword e-commerce to placement on extensions.joomla.org  and no impressions.

2. Then deleted the keyword and added the URL extensions.joomla.org/extensions/e-commerce to the placement, no impressions.

Any ideas what I am doing wring.  Have a crazy high Max CPM and Budget for testing so can't be that.

Re: How to target a web directory per category?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello 360 ! Welcome to the Community !

Placements are found under this tool (login with your adwords account)

https://www.google.com/adplanner

While typing the long URL you provided generates an error , saying that there is no such placements, targeting just joomla.org seems to work as you can see bellow .

Also it accepts a placement like extensions.joomla.org which has half of the audience of the entire site, so this could be the solution for you.

display-ad-planner-joomla.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Adrian.. thanks for the quick response. Yeah, that long URL was a long shot, but here is the question. So I get the placement URL works.

But how can one narrow it? extensions.joomla.org gets 10k-100k visits a day (in the US, where I am targeting) so need to narrow some.

I know other advertisers do it on this site. For example, those companies that are selling Templates for Joomla, they just run their ads within the Template Section. Assuming they are adding a few keywords to the website placement to further screen, but I can't replicate it. Figure it's something I am doing, some setting.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes using keywords + this placement can narrow the chances of your ad beeing displayed. The problem at this point is that the system never reveals how they match the "contextual theme" to your ads, for example you will never know which one of your keywords triggered an Ad.