AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to stop broad session-based match type?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you stop showing for session based searches without stopping using broad match keywords?

We are finding that session based terms have a high CTR but low to zero conversions. We cannot negative the majority of these terms because they perform well in broad, phrase and exact match types.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to stop broad session-based match type?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mikey,

Unfortunately session based keywords are part of the parcel of broad match. You can limit the scope of their impact through the use of negatives, by eliminating irrelevant search topics, not the words themselves. I would also suggest tightening up your keywords and using more modified broad match, this will ensure that those sessions don't get too loose with the matching.

Use the Search query report extensively if you have a lot of broad match and do not want to change yet.

Learn more about the search query, and sessions based (under a drop down) here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Learn more about Matching options here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Good Luck

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
With today's long tail queries and users using "targeted" search terms, I would recommend to minimize the usage of "broad" only to keywords that really convert.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks both,

These were my thoughts. I wanted to exhaust my options as the majority of the keywords in the account are broad match and I am wary of such a drastic change.

Also, it seemed a shame that the session-based terms are receiving such a high CTR but we cannot control the ad groups triggered to try and optimise ad copy and landing pages to increase conversions.

Mikey