1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to setup an ad experiment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi- I'd like to set up an Ad experiment (that points the ad to a different URL).  I followed the steps in this

page: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383?hl=en

but I don't see the  "Add as experiment-only ad." checkbox in the ad creation form which looks different from the screen shot in the support page above.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to setup an ad experiment

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@June HIt should be a check box at the very bottom of the create new text ad box, just above "Save ad."   If you don't see it, it's not that big of a deal.  You can change experiment setting with the status control drop down button. Where you normally see "Pause" and "Enabled" you'll now see the experiment related options as well. I've posted a screenshot for you to see. 

experiment.gif

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Humm, no Experiment-only check box in the ad creation box and the status button of the newly created ad only shows Enabled or Paused.

- Do you have to Pause an ad before creating an experiment?
- Is it possible I don't have privileges to create an experiment?
- Do I have to start from a draft?

BTW, how do you add a scrn shot to a post??

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @June H;

draft  lets you study / review  multiple variables (on a separate campaign),  and  apply them to the original campaign only if you are "happy" with the results. However, to (systematicallytest the a change(s) under a  statistical testing methodology -  you need to set an experiment. An experiment can run on either a draft or on an active campaign. (A side note: I prefer to reserve  the infinitive "to test"  to a statistically controlled experiment, and use  "a  review" for cases in which a statistical method is not applied).

An AdWords experiment requires some background in statistics,

I'm not sure I understood what you are planning to test. If  you are looking to test  different versions of the ad-copy,  and you are not fully comfortable with the statistics involved,  a more simplified version (without getting into the statistics) is to rotate all ads evenly and monitor which perform better.

My 2 pennies on AdWords experiments....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the insight Moshe.

I'd like to test different destination URLS with the same ad copy to see which leads to better site conversions (product sale). One lands on a product page and the other on a blog post the product. Comments?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

To do that you'll have to set a separate ad-group  ("one display URL per ad group") and test this new ad group performance vs the current one.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’