AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to set up past buyers remarketing list?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello there,

Quick question: How do you set up a remarketing list for 'past buyers' on an existing remarketing campaign?

I know the newly created remarketing campaigns now automatically create this list but what about old campaigns that didn't have this list set up in the inaugural creation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tom-james
September 2015

Re: How to set up past buyers remarketing list?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I think I have solved my own problem.

My confusion came from setting up a new remarketing list but all I have to do is add visitors of a page with a specific tag and use my conversion tracking to create this new list.

Thanks for all your help anyway Eric and sorry if I was somewhat confusing!

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Tom,

The re-marketing list works based on dropping a cookie into the visitors browsers. This happens when they Land on a page in which you have used either the Adwords Tag, or based on google analytics code (depending on how you set up your remarketing.

The list populate based upon visitors from the creation date of the Tags, Code, LIST. There is no going back in time prior to the first creation of a list.

" but what about old campaigns that didn't have this list set up in the inaugural creation." Since no list was prior created, there is no data to harvest. Everything start when you add the tags or code and start the initial list.

Hope that made sense

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. I understand that I can't set up a list based on people who have been on the site previously. I didn't mean past buyers as in previous to the list being set up, it's just what Google names the list for buyers in the new remarketing campaigns.

I guess my question is: Going forward, how do I create a list that tracks customers who have made a purchase? Would I have to create a new remarketing campaign and just put the tag on the thank-you page? Or is there a way of creating that list within a pre-existing remarketing campaign (for future buyers)?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tom-james
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I think I have solved my own problem.

My confusion came from setting up a new remarketing list but all I have to do is add visitors of a page with a specific tag and use my conversion tracking to create this new list.

Thanks for all your help anyway Eric and sorry if I was somewhat confusing!