1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to set up a campaign for a site that buys AND sells widgets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a site that buys AS WELL AS sells widgets (type A and type B, for example).

My question is what is the best strategy for setting up an adwords campaign.

I see 2 options but problems with each:

Option 1. 2 campaigns, but same keywords

Problem 1: both campaigns will require the same keywords [widgets type A], [widgets type B], for example

Problem 2: keywords [buy widgets type A], [buy widgets type B], and [buy widgets] (also [sell widgets type A], [sell widgets type B], and [sell widgets]) are rarely searched, plus my site ranks #1 in the organic results for each of these anyways.

Option 2. 1 campaign, 2 different ads

Problem: the ad that performs better will show up more frequently (potentially 90+% of the time) , so I'll either be buying more than I'm selling or vice-versa

Hope this makes sense.  Is there another option for structuring the ad campaign(s)?

Re: How to set up a campaign for a site that buys AND sells widgets

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mattyc

I would have two different campaigns:

1. Campaign 1: Focusses on selling widgets so its important you stipulate this in your ads and more importantly the keywords that trigger your ads. Broad match modifier is a good way to do this (e.g. +sell +widgets).

2. Campaign 2: Focusses on buying widgets so its important you stipulate this in your ads and more importantly the keywords that trigger your ads. Broad match modifier is a good way to do this (e.g. +buy +widgets).

The reason I mention +broad +match +modifier is because its a lucrative match type which puts emphasis on the certain elements of that keywords to:

1. Eliminate keywords from competing with one another

2. Keep each campaign structured and consistent context wise

I would also use Dynamic KeyWord Insertion to once again increase relevance in the ad text. 

There are other things you can do and if you need further assistance just pm me.

Hope this helps. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

JoniDK85, thanks for the reply, my question to you would be, is it limiting by requiring sell or buy in the keyword list?  As I said, I rank high (#3) organically for BUY and #1 for SELL, but the number of searches for BUY WIDGETS or SELL WIDGETS is something like 1/10000 of the number of searches for WIDGETS by itself.  Hoping you can clarify this for me.  Admittedly I don't know much about the + modifier Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It is not limiting because that is the qualified traffic you want you want to attract. I find it pointless to attract traffic to ones site with such BROAD terms as you waste your money if UNQUALIFIED traffic is clicking on your ads. Ranking organically for broad terms like 'sell' and 'buy' is not much of an advantage as that can be attracting traffic sources wanting to 'buy' sex toys (lol), 'buy' jewellery, these days 'buy' iPhone 5 (lol) and a million other things. 

Having said that I see what you are saying and at times when you have exact match and broad match modified keyword types it might be harder to reach your daily allocated spend as you are narrowing down your search traffic to a more specific level.One thing you can do is to set up another campaign that focusses on more 'broad and generic' terms and monitor the search query reports to get ideas on new lucrative keywords. But do not allocate too high of a budget as they are testing keywords and you would rather devote your spend to the campaigns that are converting.

I STRONGLY suggest you read up on the Different Keyword Match Types. Only time I use the broad match type is when (1) I am in the testing phase of the campaign (2) When I can confirm the broad matches convert after setting up the conversion tracking code. But the advantages of exact and broad match modified are fantastic:

• They increase relevance
  • They increase qualified traffic to your site
  • Most of the time they eliminates negative traffic and as a result you do not need to monitor your search query reports as much
  • Most of the time they will increases click through rate and subsequently the quality score which can boast up your ad positioning

I hope this helps. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again, this is good stuff, and I appreciate the help.

To clarify, my site ranks highly organically for [buy widgets] and [sell widgets], not the generic [buy] or [sell].   So I don't see much of a need to buy ads targeting these key phrases.

I found a great deal of coversions when I started my BUYING campaign targeting the exact key phrase [widgets].  But then my quality score was 7/10.  I had a lot of success for nearly a year, so I left the campaign alone.  It seems suddenly I stopped getting conversions so I checked back and noticed my quality score was at 4/10.

So I started looking at things like adding sitelinks and properly organizing my campaigns, and decided to set up the SELLING campaign as well.  Now the SELLING campaign seems to be doing well, but the BUYING campaign is still dead in the water.  I'm interested in improving both campaigns, I just want to be sure one is not hurting the other.  At the same time changing the triggering key phrase from [widgets] to [buy widgets], while it make sense from a strategic point of view, in reality I don't see how it can help in my specific circumstance.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One other note...I was looking at my ad stats for my BUY campaign, specifically the SEGMENT > TOP VS OTHER stats and I noticed that on Sep 24th and earlier, the ratio of TOP IMPRESSIONSSmiley SurprisedTHER IMPRESSIONS was between 3 and 5:1.

Then from Sep 25th onward, this ratio fell to about 1:1.5 (i.e., more OTHER IMPRESSIONS than TOP IMPRESSIONS).  What could have caused that to happen?

My SELL campaign didn't kick in until the 28th.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sounds like there is a little more to it then.

I can't really comment much more until I look at your entire campaign and conduct some in-depth analysis. 

But its not uncommon that one campaign is performing better than the other.

It just means one has a higher demand on search than the other which is an external environmental factor. Unfortunately there is little you can do to amend that Smiley Sad

I guess you can always take a gun and put it to people's heads and force them to search and buy lol! 

That would be POWER! Let me know if Google ever create such a function Smiley Happy